Never recieved Severe disability premium - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Never recieved Severe disability premium

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    @Heidi415 that's a long time not to have received a reply. Your mum receives either PIP daily living, DLA mid high rate care or attendance allowance yes? If so then you should ring ESA and ask for a case manager to ring you back regarding your SDP claim. Someone should then ring you within 48 hours.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Heidi415
    Heidi415 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    @poppy123456 My mum was receiving PIP daily living up until the end of October. She had to renew her claim not have a review because she was previously awarded it at a tribunal. This was delayed slightly because at first they tried to send her to a different county for her assessment which she absolutely could not attend.

She had a home assessment 9 weeks ago and is still waiting on the outcome. She phoned yesterday and it is still with the Case manager. If they go on what the assessor wrote, hopefully she will be maintaining her award. 

I was waiting on that before contacting ESA again about the Severe disability premium. I know we are not entitled at the moment because my sister still lives with us but she will be leaving again in about 6 weeks and hopefully by then my mum will have received her new PIP award. 

Will we then be entitled to the premium again? Thank you 

• poppy123456
    You will both be entitled to back dated to money for the times you qualified. Once your sister leaves you'll be able to claim it again.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Heidi415
    Thanks @poppy123456. I have found a copy of the form online. I think I am going to print two of those and send it again rather than trying to obtain another one from the ESA helpline.

Does it really only take around 3 weeks to sort out? I have been waiting over 12 so I think they must have lost it. I will keep sending it monthly if I have to. Thanks again 
  • poppy123456
    Under normal circumstances yes around 3 weeks. Your circumstances are different because you're not actually entitled to it at the moment. My advice is to ring ESA to ask what's happening about he SDP you applied for. At this rate, you could be going round in circles forever.
  • Heidi415
    Thank you @poppy123456 I shall contact them tomorrow. 
  • Heidi415
    Hi @poppy123456 They had received the form however someone made an incorrect decision initially. They said I wasn't entitled because I lived with my mum. They have reviewed this and changed the decision because my mum was claiming a qualifying benefit. I should receive the arrears in a few days.

I just want to thank you very much for all your help. You are brilliant and it would appear far more knowledgeable than the people who work for the DWP and with a greater understanding of the rules.

@Lexiluh don't give up. If you meet the qualifying conditions, I would persist with your claim. Good luck.
  • poppy123456
    @Heidi415 that's fantastic news! I'm so glad i was here to give you the correct advice!

Thank you for the kind words! Don't forget to re-claim the SDP for both of you once your sister moves out, a simple phone call to fill out the form and it's done. Should only take a few weeks for payments to start.

Enjoy the money when you receive it and treat yourself to something nice! :D
  • Heidi415
    Thanks again @poppy123456. It is only because I knew the information you gave was correct that I persisted with it. Thank you ?
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome! :)
  • Heidi415
    Hi @poppy123456 My sister moved out last weekend and I just wanted to check before I apply if it is still possible to claim the severe disability premium in March 2019? Would this change force me on to universal credit? Thank you in advance ?
  • poppy123456
    As long as you're claiming Income related ESA and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then you can claim SDP.
  • Heidi415
    Thank you for your help again.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I did the same thing. Got 5600GBP a couple of weeks ago. :smiley:
  • Murphy1926
    Murphy1926 Community member Posts: 36 Listener
    Hi I'm new to this site and wasent sure where to post but I see this is about sdp.so I hope you don't mind me asking.i get esa support group and dla higher mobility and low care.im 62 live alone and was going to move to sheltered accommodation and be near my son which is another authority. I been told I will lose money as I will be going on to universal credit.can anyone advise please.thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.