Forced to work even with sick note — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forced to work even with sick note

Mummyto2
Mummyto2 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
So basically my hsuabnd got turned down for pip but is fighting it and appealing so in the mean time we have to apply for universal credit we went to job centre and handed the work coach a sick note from gp stating he was unfit for work for 3 months the job centre have said he still has to look for work
My husband suffers with mental health and since this interview with job centre his mental health has gone down hes Been referred back to me at health team and also to a pycartist 
We was nearly sectioned due to sucicial thoughts. 
How do they have the write to say he has to work when the gp has given them a sick note 
The also said if he dosent come to next appoipment he will be sanctioned of his benefits but he won't leave the house due to his depression because of the stress of this 
Any advice or people been through this? 

Comments

• Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    Hi I've been going through similar with my son he got sanctioned until he was finally getting £2.50 a week then kicked off it. We still have to attend the work coach sessions and I listen to him going on about work and I'm like wouldn't that be lovely his mental health is also getting worse due to all the stress. I don't have any answers but your most definitely not alone 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi @mikehughescq, @Mummyto2, @Firefly123

Jobcentre work coaches do have a great deal of discretion. I think that many people with no experience of this would be shocked to learn that they can even ask people who have a fit note from a GP indicating that they are not fit for work to undertake work related activity.  To me, that really goes against the grain because the work coaches have no medical training at all.

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.