Esa, Pip, student loans, single mother and so confused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Esa, Pip, student loans, single mother and so confused

thegirlwiththecrown Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2018 in Education
Hello im wondering if someone could shed some light on this. 
I get income based esa (support group) and PIP (standard care) and housing benefit (i have to top it up by 100 every month to make rent as housing dont cover it all) 
I get ctc of 47 pw (apparently i was over paid last yr ?) and cb goes to credit union. 
Im a current university student and ive just been given my entitlement. This is my 1st year.
It says
Maintenance Loan £9916.00
Of which the Special Support Element equals: £3680.00
The Department for Work and Pensions won’t count £3,680.00 of the maximum Maintenance Loan
for living costs as student income when they work out what benefits you can get.

Is anyone/has anyone been in this situation? I know it will effect my esa, however im not sure how much they will reduce my award by. Im worrying out my mind ? 


  • sarah50
    sarah50 Member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    Hi ?. @thegirlwiththecrown sorry I can't help you I think the rules must have changed as when I was a single mum and student I was on income support, they made me stop that and borrow all my living costs in the form of student loans. I hope you can find somebody to give you good advice. Is there anybody at Uni that could advise?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    @melaniethorley can you help?
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look too to see if they can help :)
    Senior online community officer
  • thegirlwiththecrown
    thegirlwiththecrown Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have had a chat with some advisors in the university, however they couldnt really help :/
    I did ring the esa team but again they didnt have any odeas and said youll have to just check your payment when you get it - very unhelpful from jobcentre plus x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, and sorry this is causing so much worry.
    Your tax credits, PIP and child benefit should be unaffected by your student income.
    Your ESA and Housing Benefit will be affected as you say. The way it works in general is that loans and grants are taken into account if they are in respect of living costs. And so your maintenance loan will be taken into account, although £390 should be ignored for books and £303 for travel.
    As you say also, the special support grant should be ignored completely.
    Once the total student income has been assessed they then use all of it to reduce the ESA. Whether you continue to get any ESA will depend on some of your other circumstances. If you continue to get at least some ESA then your housing benefit will continue to be paid at a maximum amount. If not, your housing benefit will be reduced by 65% of the income you are deemed to have above the amount the government says you and your child need to live on (i'm assuming you don't live with a partner).
    I hope this helps

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • melaniethorley
    melaniethorley Member Posts: 138 Pioneering

    in addtion to the advice already given, I would suggest contacting Disability Rights UK. They have a wealth of knowledge regarding benefits and education:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.