PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pip success

chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
Good morning everyone
Its been 4 weeks to the day of my f2f so i rang dwp as my nerves couldnt take anymore,
A very nice lady answered and said its not unusual to wait up to 6 weeks but she would check on screen just make sure there is nothing holding it up ,
She came back with your descion was made yesterday i cannot tell you but it looks like nothing to worry about , 
I was ok with that i was about to say goodbye then she said i can put you through to a case manager they can tell you the descion if you like , its just im not allowed,.
She put me through a very patient guy answered i did apologise to him and say i understand your busy , he went on to say not all do not worry about it , its our job , he then said il read your letter i cant tell you all the details but il give you the outcome , 
He said the assessor had awarded me enhanced on daily living and mobility he then went on to say she had awarded it for 2 years BUT the case managers changed it to 10yrs ....
He went on to say bet you feel like all your birthdays and christmas have come all at once lol...
Not kidding i said ...
I just want people to know that this does prove descion makers dont always go with the assessors and they obviously do read our paperwork
All in all my transfer from dla to pip has gone smoothly , the wait is the most stressful part ..
My advise is  send all paperwork no matter how old it is , alot of mine went from 2012 to 2017...
Anyone want to ask me any questions il gladly answer..
For now im gona enjoy my 1st cuppa tea with no worry  about pip for the 1st time in quite along time ,
Just hope the letter he read was mine 
🙄 😂

Goodluck everyone 
Ellen xx

Replies

  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @chiz That must be a huge relief for you!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Hi @chiz

    Thanks for sharing your good new and positive outcome.

    Might I suggest you have a nice big cream cake with your cuppa to celebrate.
  • Karen_mKaren_m Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi,
    Can I ask you something please. 
    When I went for my DLA assessment,  it was in front of 3 people and extremely intimidating. I now have to change to PIP, how many are at the assessment? I am having panic attacks just thinking about it.
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Karen_m said:
    Hi,
    Can I ask you something please. 
    When I went for my DLA assessment,  it was in front of 3 people and extremely intimidating. I now have to change to PIP, how many are at the assessment? I am having panic attacks just thinking about it.
    Thanks 
    Hi,

    Just one assessment provider will be at your face to face assessment. Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi @Karen_m
    I had home assessment and it was 1 lady , i didnt request home visit it was given , but i do believe all assessements are 1 on 1 xx 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiz that's great news, well done! I agree with the cream cake advice.... i'd actually have 2 because you can :D
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Thankyou @poppy123456 your advice help me through it all 😘
  • Karen_mKaren_m Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Thank you Chiz and Poppy123456
    My assessment is tomorrow, I'm having panic attacks already, just thinking about it. Just hope I can get through it. (Going through the door is the first hurdle)
    Thank you.
    Xx
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    @Karen_m
    Honestly it isnt as bad as we think ... but i was the same id read all the horror stories , it really isnt as bad as we think , be honest dont be afraid to tell them your worst day , they need to know all your struggles it really isnt your illness that gets you your award its how your disability effects you , i kept reading the discriptors and worrying how can i answer to score points , the lady at my assessment actually told me i wouldnt score on reading , planning a journey , conversations with people , as i could do all that ,
    She said to stop worrying about anything she was there to help me not make me feel bad and she said she wasnt there to give me a diagnosis 
    Xxx please let us know how you get on and how you feel after the assessement 
    Goodluck 



  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Telling them your worst day is really not great advice, i'm sorry. PIP isn't about your worst day. It's about how you are 50% of the time. Tell them exactly how your conditions affect you but certainly do base it on your worst day because they will see through that. If you're at your assessment and you tell them that this is your worst day and it isn't then they will think " well if this is their worst day, what are they like on the good days, they can't be as bad as they say they are" Basing is on your worst day could possibly be classed as fraud. Just be completely honest and tell it how it is. Good luck!
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Oh gosh yes im sorry i didnt mean to sound like i told them i was bedridden , i explained that a good day for me means i could walk to the shop aided but as my letters proved these days lead to me in hospital for 2 days on a morphine drip ..
    On a good day i can bathe and help my children cook food on a bad day carers come in and do that .x
    So yes its correct to be honest , i just really made sure they understood a bad day was really bad and that my good day lead to a bad day more often than not xx
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiz no worries. I just had to point that out for karen_m and was making sure she knew not to base it on her worst day. No harm done. :)
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    chiz said:
    Good morning everyone
    Its been 4 weeks to the day of my f2f so i rang dwp as my nerves couldnt take anymore,
    A very nice lady answered and said its not unusual to wait up to 6 weeks but she would check on screen just make sure there is nothing holding it up ,
    She came back with your descion was made yesterday i cannot tell you but it looks like nothing to worry about , 
    I was ok with that i was about to say goodbye then she said i can put you through to a case manager they can tell you the descion if you like , its just im not allowed,.
    She put me through a very patient guy answered i did apologise to him and say i understand your busy , he went on to say not all do not worry about it , its our job , he then said il read your letter i cant tell you all the details but il give you the outcome , 
    He said the assessor had awarded me enhanced on daily living and mobility he then went on to say she had awarded it for 2 years BUT the case managers changed it to 10yrs ....
    He went on to say bet you feel like all your birthdays and christmas have come all at once lol...
    Not kidding i said ...
    I just want people to know that this does prove descion makers dont always go with the assessors and they obviously do read our paperwork
    All in all my transfer from dla to pip has gone smoothly , the wait is the most stressful part ..
    My advise is  send all paperwork no matter how old it is , alot of mine went from 2012 to 2017...
    Anyone want to ask me any questions il gladly answer..
    For now im gona enjoy my 1st cuppa tea with no worry  about pip for the 1st time in quite along time ,
    Just hope the letter he read was mine 
    🙄 😂

    Goodluck everyone 
    Ellen xx

    I wonder if they do that for everyone - put you through to a case manager to discuss the claim. Also surprised that they changed the award length from what was suggested by the assessor. 
    Obviously I have no knowledge of what can or should happen if you do telephone them - I just let it be, waiting for the decision letter.

    Also did they actually use the evidence that you sent that was more than 2 years old? My last decision earlier this year said that it was not relevant as things could have changed since 2011/12. Don't know how given that you can't very well grow a new spine or brain.

    Did you explain to the assessor how you have managed to adapt your way of life to make living a little easier and so as to mitigate the impact of the issues.

  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:

    Also did they actually use the evidence that you sent that was more than 2 years old? My last decision earlier this year said that it was not relevant as things could have changed since 2011/12. Don't know how given that you can't very well grow a new spine or brain.


    I've always used evidence that's older than 2 years and never ever had a problem, as i stated before.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    Yadnad said:

    Also did they actually use the evidence that you sent that was more than 2 years old? My last decision earlier this year said that it was not relevant as things could have changed since 2011/12. Don't know how given that you can't very well grow a new spine or brain.


    I've always used evidence that's older than 2 years and never ever had a problem, as i stated before.
    I'm aware of what happened with your and your daughter's claims. I was just interested in knowing if it was a one off for chiz.

    In a way I can see the logic now in sending off evidence from 6+ years ago. Things could well have changed in that time.
    But to get that evidence up dated would have meant having to ask the many consultants to go through tests for all of my issues to confirm that there was no improvement. I doubt that the NHS would agree to that wasted time and effort.


  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi .. how i saw it was if they saw all my old letters and they was almost yearly updated as i go to hospital on yearly checks up then they would see i havent gone  any better from 2012 therefore was i likely to get better any day soon ??? My problems are all spine related xx

  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited October 2018
    chiz said:
    Hi .. how i saw it was if they saw all my old letters and they was almost yearly updated as i go to hospital on yearly checks up then they would see i havent gone  any better from 2012 therefore was i likely to get better any day soon ??? My problems are all spine related xx

    Mine is too - lower & upper spinal damage along with an acquired brain injury, P.T.S.D., depression, PAD, Type 1 diabetic Pulmonary Fibrosis, Chronic Pancreatitis plus a whole host of other issues.
    But in 2017 the DWP decided that I no longer have any issues caused by the above, no issues, no impact, no points.
     
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    @yadnad have you had a recent descion that wasnt what you expected ? I honestly sent 6 letters 1 from each visit to my specialist since 2012, i sent a recent prescription form and gave contact details of my gp also i said they could use my dla information from 2013 x
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    chiz said:
    @yadnad have you had a recent descion that wasnt what you expected ? I honestly sent 6 letters 1 from each visit to my specialist since 2012, i sent a recent prescription form and gave contact details of my gp also i said they could use my dla information from 2013 x
    No the first decision was early this year - 0 points. It went to MR and in April this year the DWP told me that it was still 0 points. Twice before it went from 0 points to Enhanced Care & Mobility following a MR (2013 & 2015)
    At that point I gave up. I just could not put up with it anymore. The thought of being reassessed every other year would be bad enough but to fight every decision at a Tribunal every other year put the tin lid on it for me. At 70 I had hoped that the DWP would have more sense but alas such a thing doesn't exist - well for me it doesn't. 
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    @Yadnad oh im so sorry ..
    It sounds like youve had an awful experience xx
  • Karen_mKaren_m Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi everyone,
    Well, I had my assessment yesterday and you were right, 1 person asking lots of questions and it wasn't that bad really.    Had a couple of movements she wanted to see, but that was ok.
    Thank you all for your words of wisdom and encouragement. 
    Have to wait 4-6 weeks now for the decision. 
    Thank you
    😊

  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Hi

    Thanks for letting us know, how it went.

    Give it a week or so, then request a copy of the assessment report.

    You will then be able to see what points you have been awarded.
  • Karen_mKaren_m Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Hi atlas46,
    I didn't know I could do that. 
    I will.
    Thanks
  • chizchiz Member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Hi @Karen_m
    Thankyou for updating us, 
    Please keep us  updated x
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    chiz said:
    @Yadnad oh im so sorry ..
    It sounds like youve had an awful experience xx
    It was, it was the worst 5 years of my life in asking the DWP for help.
    The system made me ill and more depressed. 
    They were only interested in how I had become in trying to get on with my life the best way that I could. Basically I kept on shooting myself in the foot because I have a can do attitude and will always try to find ways to overcome my issues.
    Although I am well over £200 a week down on money, I now have freedom to live without the constant worry of the next re-assessment.
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    In some ways you are lucky you can do that @Yadnad but I know I can't afford to survive and keep my home on my income without pip and sdp. Even though I got a short award I intend to keep on trying for it. I'm just coming up for fifty and I cannot get a full time job due to my issues and I don't have any other adults at home to help with the living costs. I have a disability and I should be getting pip because I meet the criteria. It's the service that's flawed not the service user. I only went for pip because I was advised to and got support to do it. I doubt I would have tried on my own. The way the government is rolling out these new benefits is so stressful for the most vulnerable and it really sucks. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited October 2018
    Maybe yes I am lucky that I no longer have to put up with these assessments and ridiculous award lengths.
    But you must understand that the decision to quit was not taken lightly. It was either my health or the DWP - my health came first.
    As for finances we are both well over 65 - my wife 75 and myself 70 so work is out of the question. We survive on just over £300 a week between us. Have to pay full Council Tax since losing our Pension Credit and get no help financially from the government save my wife's Attendance Allowance which will no doubt be the next thing that they will want to attack even though she gets it for an indefinite time. If they start that caper then that will go by the wayside!

    However I do consider us as being well off when I look back at how my grandparents had to cope with living.
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad it's a disgraceful way to treat people.
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    @Yadnad it's a disgraceful way to treat people.
    Maybe but it is the norm I'm afraid.
Sign in or join us to comment.