Disability news — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Disability news

Anthony1987 Member Posts: 93 Listener
Hi it's  a long shot when u get told u have gaseous distension of colon is that'd  classed as crohn's disease? Or something  eles I'm  seeing  a specialist in November  but not 100% sure what to put on the forms i have prove i stayed in hospital for a week when i was really bad with it!. 


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    If you no firm confirmation of your diagnosis than you can only put on your application form details of your investigations and the suspected results which will be confirmed at your next hospital appointment in November. If your diagnosed with Crohn’s disease you will receive a letter from the hospital department confirming your diagnosis and will be able to take and send a copy to the DWP prior to your acessment, warning please ring DWP to get correct address to send any additional information prior to your acessment, and take a copy to you acessment just in case the sent copied never arrived or has been lost. Good luck. 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    Wat is the specialist you are seeing in November 2018?

    Have you had the condition for at least three months?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,374 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily.
  • Anthony1987
    Anthony1987 Member Posts: 93 Listener
    Gastroenterologist  i was in hospital in August this year with the pain i had the pain since last year but my gp wouldn't do nothing about it and now ovb it's got worse so i had to swop gp had the camera done everything fine on that'd part it's just waiting around now to find out wat it is I'm also seeing consultant surgeon 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    You are best to seek the help of welfare rights advisor, contact your local CAB.

    As others have explained, it's about how you meet the descriptors for PIP.
  • Anthony1987
    Anthony1987 Member Posts: 93 Listener
    Okay thanks I was with Talking changes as well but they have referred me to see a psychologist next Wednesday  just all the spot at the moment 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    From what I hear you don't even need a diagnosis to claim PIP. As long as you can match the descriptors to your difficulties.

    Mind you I suppose that on that basis anybody can claim to have severe physical and/or mental health issues even if they don't have them.

    The most important bit is getting enough evidence together that will make the decision maker agree that the difficulties exist and that they match enough of the descriptors to get enough points to generate an award.

    How you can manage that I have no idea if you can't prove that the conditions actually exist without a diagnosis. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.


Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community Guidelines.