Employment and support allowance tribunral — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Employment and support allowance tribunral

Options
susie123
susie123 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
I wonder if anyone can help.me with a query. We have been waiting for a date for my husband's ESA tribunral hearing. Today it came and it's set for mid November. Only thing is two weeks ago my husband had a stroke. At present he has no use of his right arm, his walking is unsteady and his speech is effected. He has confusion due to the stroke. We have OTS coming in everyday. Exercise is. Having little effect. 
Will we still.have to go to tribunral? What happens if he can't talk? This a really worrying me .
Any advice will be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,980 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Yes he will still have to attend the hearing. The Tribunal will expect him to answer the questions himself rather then you do it for him because they will want him to tell them in his own words how his condition affects him.

The Tribunal can't take into consideration a worsening of condition since the original decision was made, as awful as that sounds.

Does he have a rep supporting him through this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • susie123
    susie123 Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    No we don't know where to go for this  and can't afford to hire someone 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,980 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As he doesn't have anyone then it's most likely too late now as he's already been given a date. I'm not sure what will happen if he's unable to speak during the hearing. Hopefully someone else will see this and advise you further but i do know that usually the panel won't allow the person with the claimant to speak for them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.