I've been moved onto contribution-based ESA. Will I be entitled to a payment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been moved onto contribution-based ESA. Will I be entitled to a payment?

bella321
bella321 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi this is question .. I've been on incapacity benifit on 2011 then was moved onto contribution ESA , saw the news yesterday and need to ask I haven't had a raise since 2012 , I'm single so will I be enitiled to a payment please ? But I haven't had any corresponding letters yet ... Please help if you can with any phone number's or do I just hold tight and hope ? 

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @bella321,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here. :)

The Government has published a document on the ESA underpayments which might be of interest to you. They say:
    "Largely between January 2011 and October 2014 some people receiving Incapacity Benefit and Severe Disablement Allowance had their claims converted to contributory ESA. However, the possibility of whether they may also have been entitled to income-related ESA was not considered for all cases. This means they may have missed out on the payment of premiums, such as the Enhanced Disability Premium.

"The Department is in the process of reviewing around 570,000 ESA cases that could be affected. It expects to complete the checking of 320,000 cases during 2018/19. The additional 250,000 cases, brought into scope by the Secretary of State’s announcement in July 2018 to pay all cases back to the point of conversion, are planned to be completed by the end of 2019."

I hope this helps. Do let us know if you have any other questions!

Liam
  • bella321
    Many thanks for that .. I'll just sit and hold tight to see if and when ? :/
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @bella321, they're currently going through ESA cases so I believe they will be in touch if you are due a repayment. Sorry if this isn't helpful!
    Liam
  • bella321
    OK thanks ... 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

DWP are recruiting more staff, to enable a helpline for those potentially affected to contact. Because of the large numbers, would suggest they will go to claimants owed the most, those going back to 2011.

Hope this helps
  • bella321
    edited October 2018
    Thankyou ... I was on in from 2007 due to a major op then switched to contribution ESA in 2011 
  • bella321
    If you should find the helpline can you please share
  • atlas46
    Hi

Yes of course will let you know about helpline.

You should be contacted first, as you go back to 2011.

DWP tried to block to 2014, but caved in, when they threatened with court action.

Hope this helps.
  • bella321
    Yes it does ... Thankyou and will just wait for a letter
  • atlas46
    BBC just reported that average payments will be £5,000 for those most affected.
  • bella321
    Ah thanks a lot I did read somewhere that but wasn't sure how true if was .. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.