PIP Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment

Options
alibabi67
alibabi67 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
So had the dreaded PIP assessment yesterday and it was horrible. It came at a time when I am very depressed so I couldn’t answer simple questions like ‘what do you use your car for’ I said going places, and he said where and I couldn’t even think of one place. My mind is so foggy I can’t think straight. I was asked stupid questions too and the assessor seemed very exasperated with me. He asked me how often I eat and I said once a day and he said why only once a day and I said because I can’t be arsed, I don’t really care, which is true. He asked a lot about my children and how I care for them which I didn’t feel was appropriate as I had already explained that my husband makes their meals etc. I have bipolar disorder and degenerative osteoarthritis in my knee. He asked how far I could walk and I just said I didn’t know, he said how long could I walk for and I just shrugged, I found it too hard. I feel this is going to go against me in a big way. I found the whole hour and a quarter humiliating talking about my incontinence with a man. It’s so wrong. I feel like the police are going to knock on my door any minute and arrest me for fraud because I was made to feel like a criminal. I am fortunate that I don’t need the money to live, we can afford our rent etc because my husband works but it’s already been 3 months to get to assessment and now another month or so for an initial decision, how the hell people who need this money to live cope. It really is a horrendous and barbaric practise.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I'm to hear this. Any assessment is always very daunting because you don't know what to expect. Did you send evidence to support your claim? They rarely contact anyone for this.

The reason they ask you all those questions is because they're trying to get a picture of how your conditions affect you daily. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, but how those conditions affect you.

Leave it about a week then ring DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report, it's rare for them to go against it.

Decisions can be anything between 2-8 weeks, sometimes longer depending on backlog in your area. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Pioneering
    Options
    I was going through same to. He say if u don't like life why u still here what stopping u from goin. Now dwp said to call Monday I did she said takes months to complete yet wasn't looked at they denied me l.l now appeal 
  • alibabi67
    alibabi67 Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    I sent them a recent x ray report on my knee, prescription list and my doctor did a letter just confirming my diagnosis. I didn’t have any other evidence to send. My form was complete in that I explained how my conditions affected me and my ability to manage day to day. And I also put on my form that when I am depressed I struggle to talk to professionals and that I struggle with cognitive impairment due to side effects of medication. I am still waiting for help from the mental health team despite them finally coming out over three weeks ago and assigning me a nurse who I am yet to hear from. Our family outreach worker called them last week because I was so bad and they called me Friday and promised to call Monday but didn’t bother. I could be dead by the time they bother seeing me. It’s no wonder so many people die needlessly. I don’t even open my curtains or wash or eat unless it’s made for me or it comes out of a tub in the fridge. We are being victimised by our neighbours and the police and HA are doing nothing to help, despite them having already driven another family out of their home. So to be honest the PIP appointment came at a very bad time for me. I had a text today to say the DWP have received my report. To be honest I don’t know if I could cope with the stress of seeing it, because if it is highly inaccurate that could just push me over the edge that I am clinging on to.
  • fluffy84
    fluffy84 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your troubles and I truly hope that you are getting some help and support. 

I am in complete agreement about the disgrace of these assessments and truly believe that they are completely unfit for purpose. 

Please take your report and your award with a 'pinch of salt'.  Most of these assessors are working to 'refusal targets' and will find ways to refuse you. In my experience their reports are inaccurate and at times totally false. 

I would strongly advise you to appeal your decision if you feel that it is inaccurate and then take it to a tribunal if required. 

I won't lie, this can be a stressful process so I would strongly recommend seeking some support if you can. 

Keep seeking help on here and with your family/friends or other agencies if you can. There are many many people who disagree with this horrendous process and would love to help you.

Wishing you all the best and I'm so sorry that you are going through such an awful time.

xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.