Who is due a backdated payment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Who is due a backdated payment?

Is there any way to know (e.g. by the rate received when you were switched from IB to ESA) whether you're one of the people due a backdated payment of ESA? It's all over the news but nobody seems to have a clear answer on exactly who is affected.

I was on contribution-based ESA only, for the first year after being moved from IB in 2012, while my partner was still on IB. The letter did mention income-related but I didn't apply for it - the calculation they sent seemed to suggest I was better off on contribution-based ESA. My payments were £110.85 (with £28.15 WRAG addition and the £11.70 IB-ESA migration top-up payment included). No free prescriptions etc during that year. After 12 months I was moved to income-related, and had to combine my partner's claim with mine.

Is there any way to tell if I was underpaid, or do I just have to wait and see if I get a letter from the DWP? They're now saying they won't be able to write to some people until 2020!!


  • Antoinette88
    Antoinette88 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am interested in hearing more about this too x
  • grannydeb
    grannydeb Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I was on Contribution based ESA from 2011 to 2014 but in 2015 I realised something wasn't right. I went to a tribunal and was awarded back dated payments for a year, only back dated from 2014. They then put me on Income based ESA. So now they are going back to 2011... I should get back payments from 2011 to 2014 ! The awful thing is.... none of us can be sure if and when we will get this money... could do with a holiday ! Xx good luck to us all x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,471 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP will eventually contact anyone the maybe affected by this, other than that without going through all of your circumstances, savings/capital household income it's impossible to advise something as complex as this on an internet forum.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.