So much for independence! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So much for independence!

Peeps_64
Peeps_64 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
I have just received the outcome of my claim for PIP and I have been awarded the lower rate of the carers part, but have been refused the mobility part. Well when on DLA I was awarded both at the higher rate. This is such a frightening outcome for me, and whats more what is the independence part of PIP supposed to be if not for transport. I now have to give the car back to motability which has taken away my independence this is really stupid. I am going to fight this but fear that because I am cognitive in the mind, can read and write and in other words have my sanity in their eyes I am capable of doing anything. I have osteoarthritis in all my body, I am diabetic, and I cannot walk more than 3 yards without getting out of breath and being in severe pain. I also have asthma among a lot of other problems. I am on morphine patches and several other medications to help me. Now the thing here is I am registered disabled, but according to the powers that be I can manage. I have carers who come in everyday to help me dress, shower etc, what part of that makes me an abled bodied person I ask you? I am so scared and worried about how I will managed now without the extra help. Does anybody else feel that the PIP is really unfair in its outcomes? Like I said what is the independence part for if not to give you the independence to live your life. Gosh I am sorry for the long message here, but I need guidance please. Thank you.

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Its disgusting i had the same only low care no mobility lucky i did not have mobility part before my health has went down hill over a 18 months ago. According to the DWP and hcp provider my health hasnt got worse. I had a MR still no change, waited 22 weeks for appeal which is next week. Will keep everyone posted on how i get on. Good luck and try and fight.
  • Peeps_64
    Peeps_64 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Lindadenise I was given DLA up to 2020, but not now as we have to go over to PIP. This government is so useless in every aspect of what they are doing.  I will fight this to the bitter end, it has set me back 2 years of my life as I do not want to carry on living now because they are taking away my only way of getting out and living independantly. Yes that's a bad thing to say but it's how I feel. My disability is severe and I am registered disabled also, so why put us through this again and again.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.