PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP Appeal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33 Courageous
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
had my pip tribunal today. Worst day of my life yet again worse than the face to face assessment.  I was absolutly grilled by the judge not a very nice person at all , no sense of humanity what so ever. Instead of listening  to me she was more interesdted in trying to make out i was lying about something and kept cutting me off !  The doctor was nice, so was the disability lady to a point. All they focused on was the face to face assemtment I had 18 months ago and the fact I used to work part time !! Which most of the report was a lie but they kept challenging me on it regardless. 
All i can say is prepare for battle if u have a PIP tribunal its not as laid back as some people make out. They did not even ask about my mobility??!! 
Told i will get my decision in post. Awful experience did not get to say what I wanted at all, thought that was the point of the whole thing ?? 

Replies

• markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    It  sounds like a typical tribunal they expect you to remember things you wrote 18 months ago and then when you do get a result it's time for your review and it all starts again 
    It is persecution of the Disabled
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33 Courageous
    Totally agree I felt like I was on trial. She went as far as saying on the day i had my assessment i had nail varnish on your nails !! Well yes I did and my daughter had painted my nails, I’m sorry am I not allowed nail varnish because I have a disability are we not allowed to live some sort of life ? Driving was also mention even though I have not driven for many months they wanted to know why I still have my car... because my partner needs a car to take me to and from hospital appointments. 
    Discrimination of the disabled, they make their own rules up and don’t want to help. 
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    Mpreston said:
    All they focused on was the face to face assemtment I had 18 months ago and the fact I used to work part time !! 
    I never got near to a Tribunal as twice they upped my award at MR stage from 0 points to enhanced for both components. The third time they stuck at 0 points.

You mentioned work - I put on my claim form that I do volunteer work as a Town Councillor which helps with meeting people and distracts me away from my own problems. It too was used against me by both the assessor and the DWP as if I could do that then there can be nothing wrong with me. I quoted Tanni Grey Thompson who not only does so much for the disabled, is a Paralympian, TV presenter and who now sits in the House of Lords AND was transferred from DLA to PIP with no issues whatsoever.
    That fell on deaf ears!! 
    The whole system is just an absolute sham. It’s a disgrace to us people with genuine disabilities/ illnesses that need the help. 
    Hopeless 
  • lindadeniselindadenise Member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I have my appeal next tuesday and i am dreading it to be honest.
    Goodluck. All I can say is stick to your guns and don’t back down, x
    I wont i am very strong when it comes to sticking up for myself when the going gets tough. I am dreading it and its stressing me out already and my blood pressure is high through stress. 
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    I do part time work very short hours over 5 days. I am supported by a mental health employment advisor. The tribunal focussed on this a lot with regards to my pip claim and I thought I was going to get zero zero. I did feel it went against me although pip is supposed to be for people who work as well. The tribunal didn’t seem to get that part. I explained his and why I work etc but I felt like it went against me. It honestly made me wonder what’s the point of trying to work. But I got the mobility award and that’s fine for now. It’s worth the job satisfaction to carry on with work but I seriously think that there is a lot of ignorance and misunformation around pip and working. Good luck with your result. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
    I do part time work very short hours over 5 days. I am supported by a mental health employment advisor. The tribunal focussed on this a lot with regards to my pip claim and I thought I was going to get zero zero. I did feel it went against me although pip is supposed to be for people who work as well. The tribunal didn’t seem to get that part. I explained his and why I work etc but I felt like it went against me. It honestly made me wonder what’s the point of trying to work. But I got the mobility award and that’s fine for now. It’s worth the job satisfaction to carry on with work but I seriously think that there is a lot of ignorance and misunformation around pip and working. Good luck with your result. 
    There is also ignorance surrounding the fact that if you drive a car with all of the mental & physical input into driving, you could possibly be shooting yourself in the foot with attempting to get a PIP award.
    The same would be said for those PIP claimants that claim carers allowance for their spouse/partner. It is seen that if you can manage to care for someone else, why can't you care for yourself.

True that was my case yesterday penalised cos I used to work part time at the time of my claim and penalised because I have a car I very rarely drive and if I drive I it’s short journeys. What’s the point in motorbike cars if I’m being penalised for driving ?? Not all disabilities restrict driving. And like we have all said we thought PIP was for people who work?? I was also grilled because I could speak properly and maintain eye contact ??  Absolutely baffles me. 
    Motability cars I mean 
    Mpreston said:
    True that was my case yesterday penalised cos I used to work part time at the time of my claim and penalised because I have a car I very rarely drive and if I drive I it’s short journeys. What’s the point in motorbike cars if I’m being penalised for driving ?? Not all disabilities restrict driving. And like we have all said we thought PIP was for people who work?? I was also grilled because I could speak properly and maintain eye contact ??  Absolutely baffles me. 
    Being able to converse properly and maintain eye contact are a sure sign (so they say, but actually it's rubbish) that you do not have any mental health impairments. I had 14 of these one liners in my assessments which indicated to the DWP that I was telling a pack of lies about my mental health difficulties.
    Something needs to change that’s for sure. Extremely frustrating. 
    If I don’t get the result I need then my only option is the higher tribunal which I’m totally terrified of after what I’ve been through in this tribunal. ( not sure if I could put myself through it again) 
  • Hills41Hills41 Member Posts: 14 Courageous
    We are still waiting on our statement of reasons to land so we can keep fighting to upper tribunal. Of course they are taking forever and we can't move forward. Now my husband has had to give up work as his car taken off him today. Pip is a joke!!! 
    Its absolutely awful the way we are perceived i for one would not go through all this if i was fit and well.
    I feel annoyed with the system.
    Exactly .. why would we be putting ourselves through all this if we were fit and well! 
    The system is an absolute sham and someone needs to get a grip of it and stop making us feel worse and making us suffer any more than we already are. 
    Has anyone managed to get to a higher tribunal ? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Mpreston said:
    Has anyone managed to get to a higher tribunal ? 
    You can only do this if an error in law is found in making the decision. For this, you must first ask HMCTS for the statement of reasons and record of proceedings and you have 28 days to request these. They can take as long as they want to send you these and once you have them you need to find someone that can take a look to find that error, if there is one.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hills41 said:
    Now my husband has had to give up work as his car taken off him today. 
    I know how you feel.
    In the past five years and after 3 face to face PIP assessments Motability have taken back 3 cars from me.
    I'm 70 but still put in a full working week (entirely voluntary as a Town Councillor) and I need to get about the town. Having no car I have to put on friends and neighbours to get me around to see the residents. Very difficult at times.
    I would fight the latest decision - Enhanced Care & Mobility to 0 points, if only I could find someone knowledgeable locally to take it on for me.
    I heard today from m. s doctors that m. s society is fighting pip at house of commons. We all need to keep fighting for justice. Don't let let the dwp  grind us down. 
  • Hooley101Hooley101 Member Posts: 15 Connected
    I have had my PIP taken off me just like that.  The letter says a doubt has arisen regarding my health conditions.  I can't imagine how they have come to think this I don't work anymore and I am waiting for a spinal procedure amongst other things.  The DWP just do what they like! What sort of people can do this to others?
  • LindaannLindaann Member Posts: 41 Connected
    When my daughter had her first face to face assessment she could hardly speak due to facial pain...was struggling walking and the assessor said he could see how she was struggling ! Didnt ask her to do things because of the pain.in the report it said she was well presented and didnt seem anxious at all ... she suffers from fybromyalgia and has had to run down her business as  mobile hairdresser to the bare minimum which she has just a handful of clients that understand she cant always deliver her service !at 33 with 3 children under 5 she has to rely on family and friends to help .stress and fybro do not go well together ...do they not care in the least what this does to people !
    Its upsetting to see how she tries to cope and yet feels like shes having to beg for help !!!

I understand 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Its so upsetting to see my beautiful daughter suffer as she does...why do they not see it ? 
    Hooley101 said:
    I have had my PIP taken off me just like that.  The letter says a doubt has arisen regarding my health conditions.  I can't imagine how they have come to think this I don't work anymore and I am waiting for a spinal procedure amongst other things.  The DWP just do what they like! What sort of people can do this to others?
    Are you being investigated for benefit fraud?

Maybe someone has passed info about you to the fraud hotline? 
    I totally get it as one of my illnesses is fibromyalgia and it is an  absolutely awful debilitating illness that no one takes seriously !! What I say is people need to educate themselves on this illness before passing any judgement or pretending to understand, cos trust me until u suffer from this illness yourself or live with some who does then u have no idea what we go through daily. 
    Keep fighting! 
    I really don't know what's going on I had an face to face assessment in August 2017 why stop it now?
    The assessor told my daughter that he had to read up on this illness as they didnt know enough about it ... are these people heartless ?x
    I have ME/CFS which has no proven medical cause so it is very like fibromyalgia I wake up some days feeling that my soul has been dragged from my body.  I have a plethora of other proven medical ailments with many hospital appointments next month.  I have contacted my MP for support he says he will look into it so we shall see.
    Durely they shouldnt just stop it without first speaking to you ? Your gps have all the history so why is this not enough ? Last week my daughter asked for a written report and her gp said all gps have been told by dwp they have NOT to write letters of support ...what does this tell us ...my daughter was sat there crying in agony and was prescribed morphine as a last resort ! X
    My doctor somethings had to refer to an American doctors website but it is know it’s just that it’s a complex illness that no one even the doctors don’t fully understand so they choose to dismiss it. 
    I am very fortunate that my doctor is more clued up on fibro and is such a big help. He has written me a really good letter of support but wether they take it into acccount is another issue. 
    Lindann... have the DWP really said that doctors can’t write letters of support ? My gp has written me one only last week ? 
    When did your gp write your letter as they have been stopped from doing it now x
    Mpreston said:
    Lindann... have the DWP really said that doctors can’t write letters of support ? My gp has written me one only last week ? 
    Of course they can write whatever they feel like. What matters is how much weight will the DWP and/or a Tribunal give it.
    Why would they stop this it’s insane surely ones GP knows best on the individuals health. It’s ridiculous 
    Mpreston ...yes my daughter asked last fri and gp said she was so sorry but they can no longer do it as told by dwp !
    Well i was with her when she told her !gp said she didnt agree but was nothing she could do x
    Lindaann: Wow that’s crazy. Just unreal and so unfair. Maybe it’s a new thing and I just managed to get one in time. So sorry to hear that 
    Our mp wrote support letter but it made no difference. 
    My husband went to her first assessment and the young paramedic that interviewed her said i can tell how youre suffering ...dont worry with all my information you will qualify ...they arent meant to say that but they were his words !
    My assessment report was full of false information. Stuff I did not even say. 
    Hills41 if that's the case I have nothing more I can do about it .  I have already sent in an appeal although they said I can't and I have an appointment with the citizens Advice next week.  I will keep on fighting but my health is poor and some days I don't have the strength to do it.
    As was my daughters ! The young man was very sympathetic towards her but yet in the letter of rejection there were lues ... i cant imagine he would have written them 
    Same. came to our home and interviewed yet wrote opposite of everything we said
    Yadnad said:
    Hooley101 said:
    Are you being investigated for benefit fraud?

Maybe someone has passed info about you to the fraud hotline? 
    Well I can't think what they would say if they have.  What a cruel thing to do!
    Cant trust anyone love these days x
    Hooley101: Fibro is an invisible illness as is all my other illnesses and people often comment that I look normal ! That was in my assessment too. 
    So going back to someone reporting u just makes me so angry really does.. how do they know what u are going through or what u are suffering from. NOT ALL DISABILITIES ARE VISIBLE. 
    I totally agree ... not all illnesses are visible but some folks are ignorant x
    My g p wrote me a letter at appeal. I think we need to see the facts about this if possible, I wasnt aware the DWP could tell doctors what to do. I would get a second opinion. 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    Hi guys got my tribunal decision today - declined!!! 
    I’m in shock! 
    I don’t understand how they came to this decision .. I use many aids, I can’t work . Can’t cook can’t walk far can’t go out much, can’t shower without help can’t dress without help the list goes on. And I have a strong letter of support from my doctor. I really don’t know where I go from here 
    By the way u prob know my previous username as MPreston 
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @Mickey1

Sorry to hear your bad news.  You can appeal to an upper tribunal if there has been an error of law.  You need to ask judge for a statement of reasons and then show this to CAB, local authority welfare rights or a solicitor to id an error of law if there was one.  Or you can make a new PIP claim right away.  remember, PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility.  Try to get f2f advice from CAB or similar, or welfare rights.
    Thanks . 
    I honestly cannot put in a fresh claim this whole process has been so awful it has destroyed me ... trying to get hold of CAB proving impossible 
    Mickey1 So sorry to hear your bad news.  The whole process is a terrible ordeal for most of us.  I think the CAB is our only hope I have an appointment on Monday.  Good luck
    I’ve managed to get a hold of CAB she says the only thing I can do is reapply again go to higher tribunal if I can .. and there’s no way I am Reapply I just can go through that again x
    There is no reasons y they have declined me so I’ll have to request that before I can go to higher appeal 
    That's the stage we are at. Waiting game again 
    Did you manage to get a statement of reason ? 
    Asked for it September still waiting. When u phone pip to ask where it is. Reply it will be there when it gets there. 
    Omg. This is absolutely disgusting the way they treat us. I’m still in shock with the amount of care I need daily I was still declined .. what hope is there for everyone else 
    I am my husbands carer and now no money since April. Yet he hasn't been miraculously recovered from multiple sclerosis. Heartbreaking seeing him without car and job thanks to government. 
    It’s so wrong !!! 
    This is all so wrong ... genuine people should get their needs met especially if they have paid their dues in ...x
    I just don’t know what I am going to do now financially... really worrying times 
    Do they have no heart ? How would they like a family member to be treated this way !
    Honestly having sat in that tribunal and be treated the way I was I can tell u they have no hearts they simply do not care at all. I was crying with anxiety they way they were talking to me and they just carried on then dismissed me. I hope no one else has to go through that but the truth is they prob will. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this. Request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings and get someone to look at them to see if the error in law was made.

Did you send any other evidence other than a letter from your GP? Letters from GP's aren't the best evidence because a GP doesn't know how your conditions affect you. They will only know what you've told them, which isn't evidence, it's just your words.

If you are planning on starting a new claim in the future then i'd advise you to get some help because claiming again using the same evidence as this claim may see another refusal.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    They had evidence of my several conditions from hospital letters and scans and xrays and stuff and my GP letter and knew I am under the pain clinic.yes I will be requesting a statement of reasons as I don’t want to apply again I just can’t put myself through that process again it was awful. I rang my CAB and they said they don’t do face to face appointments so how do I get someone to look at the statement of reason (this is just so ridiculously hard and unfair ) 
    Mickey1 said:
    They had evidence of my several conditions from hospital letters and scans and xrays and stuff and my GP letter and knew I am under the pain clinic.yes I will be requesting a statement of reasons as I don’t want to apply again I just can’t put myself through that process again it was awful. I rang my CAB and they said they don’t do face to face appointments so how do I get someone to look at the statement of reason (this is just so ridiculously hard and unfair ) 
    So sorry to hear of your situation.
    You are not on your own either - been there too at a Tribunal ( I was described as a drug dealer and non credible witness at an appeal for my wife's Attendance Allowance claim).

After 3 PIP face to face assessments in the past 5 years I knew that I too could not go on any longer having to fight every decision that the DWP came up with.
    I just gave up the whole thing earlier this year as at 70 the system was making me ill.

As for the CAB, I went there looking for help in 2013 and was told to go home and they would get back in touch with me to come back in - never heard a thing from them in the past 5 years!! I was probably deemed a waste of space.

CAB was pointless to us after waiting months on appointment giving us glimmer of hope then tore us to shreds after leaving us half an hour in a small room while he read our notes possibly while eating his lunch. Worse than tribunal 
    Multiple sclerosis can be affected by stress I have spent most of my married life protecting my husband from stress for government to come along and demoralise it all. 
    @Hills41

You need to chase tribunal clerk, not PIP, for statement of reasons.

@Mickey1

If CAB are of no help, try local authority welfare rights.

@matilda
    thank you. 
    To everyone
    we are all in a similar situation and it’s just so wrong. I know for certain I cannot put myself through any this any longer then have broke me down. 
    It's hard but we have to fight on.  we can't let the ******** get us down.
    Matilda said:
    @Hills41

You need to chase tribunal clerk, not PIP, for statement of reasons.

@Mickey1

If CAB are of no help, try local authority welfare rights.

Not many of them around either with councils having to make drastic cuts.
    You may be lucky as some area in the UK do seem to be hanging onto them against the odds.
    Those councils must have more money stashed away than they are letting on.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,968 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Probably worth clarifying a few things here:

A tribunal has 20 to 40 minutes ordinarily. They’ll usually have previewed the papers in advance too. That’s an incredibly short time to hear verbal evidence obtained by concise answers to specific questions; weigh ALL the evidence; make findings of fact and apply the law to those facts. They do that 6 to 8 times a day and the amount of writing involved for a judge is the equivalent of doing 2 3 hour exams. A tribunal is inquisitorial not adversarial but it’s also not about them listening to you exclusively. A judge will not generally cut someone off because they’re rude but because they need specific answers to specific questions in a short time. If you don’t answer the question; can’t give a quick concise answer or see the end of each question as the opportunity to say what you want to get off your chest then yes they will interrupt you to get the thing back on track. If you’re the claimant in the waiting room due to go in at 11;20am abc the clerk is having to calm you down as the 10:40 has over-run and is still nowhere near finished then a tribunal judge has to weigh that too.

Everybody would agree it’s nice to have your day in court and if there’s time to spare then sure they’ll let you say whatever extra you feel the need to but a tribunal is absolutely not there to just let you say what you want. You’ve had a claim pack; an assessment; an MR; an appeal letter and hopefully a written submission to do that. Their job is to weigh all the evidence; find facts and then apply the law to the facts found. 

They do indeed focus on your date of claim as that is a legal requirement. They can look at evidence which post dates the date of claim but only if it says something about the date of claim. It has been said many times before on here, not least by me, that it’s easy enough to rubbish a HCP report and with most tribunals you’re kicking at an open door in that respect but the mistake is to think that rubbishing a HCP wins your case. It only gives the HCP report less weight and whether you win or not depends very much on the weight of your own evidence. I have also recently asserted on a different thread that people tend to get the tribunal they prepare for. Set yourself up for battle and that’s what you get. Prepare your case; get face to face advice and representation if you can; understand the basics and most times the experience will be straightforward even if you disagree with the outcome. 

I’d be interested to know if the OP requested a statement of reasons or record of proceedings. If not then the only way of knowing what influenced the outcome was if there was an invitation back in to collect the summary decision which was accompanied by a few words of explanation. Without either of those it’s pure guess work as to whether part-time work; driving etc. played any part in the decision. The fact that questions were asked can’t be taken to infer anything. I note that all the evidence you talk of (and I appreciate your posts won’t be the full picture) is all medical based rather than anecdotal. PIP isn’t about your conditions; treatment or meds. It’s about the specific consequences of your conditions and linking those to points scoring activities by giving examples of how you can’t do those things reliably. 

The invite back in doesn’t come if the tribunal were running late or felt you would be aggressive if asked to return for a negative decision. 

Once you have the SOR/ROP you can get someone to look at it from your local CA; independent advice centre; unemployed workers centre; law centre or local authority welfare rights service. 
    Have u sat in front of a tribunal and been spoken to the way we all say we have been spoken to and treated the way we all say we have been treated  ?? Just a question 
    Have represented in the high hundreds. Observed at low hundreds when training others to represent. Know a bad tribunal when I see one. There are indeed rogue tribunal members but most are fine and most issues occur because of unprepared appellants. 

A small number have posted on the forum saying they had a bad experience. There is another thread on here currently live where a number of people say the exact opposite. The experience IS variable but claimants contribute to that as much as tribunals. 
    I don’t agree. I was well prepared and answered every question was still treated like a criminal and like shi.. 
    You are welcome to disagree. I have simply explained why some people don’t have the experience they would want. The fact you think the tribunal was supppsed to be all about what you wanted to say and the evidence you list is all medical and not directed towards points scoring does point in the opposite direction to some extent. 
    My evidence was not all midical ! But unfortunately I cannot write the whole hours worth i was in there on here. But anyway whatever 
    Have represented in the high hundreds. Observed at low hundreds when training others to represent. Know a bad tribunal when I see one. There are indeed rogue tribunal members but most are fine and most issues occur because of unprepared appellants. 

A small number have posted on the forum saying they had a bad experience. There is another thread on here currently live where a number of people say the exact opposite. The experience IS variable but claimants contribute to that as much as tribunals. 
    And in my wife's AA appeal I was asked by the doctor what would I do if my wife's pain medication (Oramorph) had run out and she was in agony? Weird question I thought.

But I answered it saying that I was also prescribed the same medication (Oramorph) and by greater volume so I would give her some of mine until her pain subsided.

That's when all hell broke loose and I was told to leave the room. Being invited back in 5mins later the doctor accused me of being a drug dealer. I countered that I would never given the circumstances he had outlined leave my wife in pain so presumed that he would..

A few minutes later a few more comments/answers from me I was told to leave permanently. 
    It’s absolutely disgusting the way we are treated. I for one am not giving up I will be requesting a statement of reason for higher tribunal. 
    Sure is stressful and causes more anxiety for us.
Sign in or join us to comment.