Holistic assessment of my wellbeing - CP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holistic assessment of my wellbeing - CP

Cha Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2021 in Cerebral palsy
I live independently in Northamptonshire with CP, I am retired. I walk with a walker but slowing down and have just had an operation on my lower calf to remove a benign tumour. I would really like to see a CP specialist who could give me a holistic assessment of my wellbeing as my GP surgery tend to look at me through a CP prism. I'm losing some function in my right arm and hand. I want to know if I can improve or stabilise things as I want to continue living independently or if I should accept that it is general deterioration. Can anyone recommend someone who can give me guidance? Thank you 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cha welcome to the community!

    @Richard_Scope do you have any suggestions? :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,615 Scope online community team
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Cha
    A very warm welcome to the community and good to meet you. Unfortunately and annoyingly there are no CP specialists in the U.K. People like us with Cerebral Palsy tend to experience physiological burnout quicker than our non-CP peers due to the stresses and strains that we place on our bodies just performing the simplest of tasks.
    I have the same experience when talking to GPs. It very important that we express what is different from our daily lived experience of CP.
    Staying as active as possible can help to stabilise things for you. I would ask your GP for a referral to a physiotherapist and hydrotherapist
    I have found a local pool in your area that you might want to take a look at?
    There is no quick fix to the changes that we see as we get older but there are lots of ways we can keep active and as independent as possible.

    We also have a very useful discussion about ways that people manage their CP.

    Keep in touch.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Veronica82
    Veronica82 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Conductive Education is  "wholistic" approach to rehabilitation for people with motor disorders. It's been amazing for my son so I just completed a degree in it so I can work with families across all ages.
    It's fabulous 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.