If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What happens if son can't engage with PIP assessor?

polar10polar10 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
My 16 year old autistic son is moving from dla to pip (hopefully) 
I sent in a huge pile of evidence from psychiatrist, occupational therapist, psychologist along with his ehcp 
 I am surprised and disappointed that he has now been invited to a face 2 face assessment.
He will not communicate directly with strangers (if he communicates at all) 
I am his appointee
Does anyone know what happens if he cannot engage with the assessor ?? 


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi @polar10

    Good Evening it’s great to meet you today.

    Here’s some info for you on PIP

    Please please let me know if I can help you further????
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi @polar10 Welcome to the community

    Even though you are his appointee, it may be that the assessor will want him to answer as many questions as he is able to.

    You could explain at the start of the assessment that you are his appointee and the needs and impairments of your son and also take copies of the evidence you have to show his needs.
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.