pip entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

pip entitlement

Ianj Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi Can anyone help me with this I have a back condition, that has caused a mobility issue also have a stenosis of the spine with doctors/physio saying no guarantees of success of surgery my lower leg has been numb an weak for over two years with now sign of recovery, would i be eligible for PIP even though I am working  


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ianj
    PIP isnt mean tested so you can claim it and still work.

    It is about how your impairment affects you day to day rather than the impairment itself, there is a PIP self test you can try here that will ask questions to deem whether you could be entitled or not.]

    If you decide to apply, then here is how you go about it.

    You can make a new Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

    Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. There are also other ways to claim if you find it difficult to use a telephone.

    Claim by telephone or textphone

    Before you call, you’ll need:

    • your contact details, for example telephone number
    • your date of birth
    • your National Insurance number - this is on letters about tax, pensions and benefits
    • your bank or building society account number and sort code
    • your doctor or health worker’s name, address and telephone number
    • dates and addresses for any time you’ve spent abroad, in a care home or hospital

    You can then call the PIP claims line.

    DWP - PIP claims
    Telephone: 0800 917 2222
    Textphone: 0800 917 7777
    NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 917 2222
    Calling from abroad: +44 191 218 7766 
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
    Find out about call charges

    What happens next

    1. You’ll be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ form. Call the PIPenquiry line if you need it in an alternative format such as braille, large print or audio CD.

    2. Fill in the form using the notes that come with it to help you. You can also read Citizens Advice’s help on filling in the form.

    3. Return the form to DWP - the address is on the form.

    4. To assess the level of help you need, an independent health professional will either invite you to a meeting or ask your health or social care worker for information.

    5. If you’re invited to a meeting, you’ll be asked questions about your ability to carry out activities and how your condition affects your daily life. The meeting can be either at your home or at an assessment centre, and will take about an hour. You can read Citizens Advice’s help on preparing for an assessment.

    6. You’ll get a letter that tells you whether you’ll get PIP. If you do, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and the date it will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support.

    This information comes from the gov website.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.