Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How can my wife claim "underlying entitlement" for Carers Allowance?

exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 314 Pioneering
edited October 2018 in Carer's allowance
As we are both over retirement age we accept that we can't get Carers Allowance but exactly what do we have to do to prove underlying entitlement so that we can claim Housing/Council Tax relief?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi,

To claim an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance you have to meet all of the conditions for Carer’s Allowance and you must still make a claim for Carer’s Allowance.

Having an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance can increase any means-tested benefits you are already getting or might mean you become entitled to means-tested benefits for the first time. This is because the carer premium, carer addition or carer element can be included in the calculation for means-tested benefits.

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • exdvrexdvr Member Posts: 314 Pioneering
    After spending what seemed like an eternity on the phone [thankfully an 0800 number] we finally got confirmation that my wife had been awarded ‘underlying entitlement’ way back in 2016!  Wish we had known this sooner...it could well have solved a few problems.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Sign in or join us to comment.