How can my wife claim "underlying entitlement" for Carers Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can my wife claim "underlying entitlement" for Carers Allowance?

Options
exdvr
exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
As we are both over retirement age we accept that we can't get Carers Allowance but exactly what do we have to do to prove underlying entitlement so that we can claim Housing/Council Tax relief?

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Hi,

To claim an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance you have to meet all of the conditions for Carer’s Allowance and you must still make a claim for Carer’s Allowance.

Having an ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance can increase any means-tested benefits you are already getting or might mean you become entitled to means-tested benefits for the first time. This is because the carer premium, carer addition or carer element can be included in the calculation for means-tested benefits.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering
    Options
    After spending what seemed like an eternity on the phone [thankfully an 0800 number] we finally got confirmation that my wife had been awarded ‘underlying entitlement’ way back in 2016!  Wish we had known this sooner...it could well have solved a few problems.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.