PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Trying to get blue badge so now have to have pip review

swanmarkswanmark Member Posts: 13 Listener

Hi Guys, this has all come about because I am trying to get my Blue Badge renewed. They keep moving the goal posts, I was first told I had to get a letter from my consultant to confirm my walking difficulties, which has taken since March to do, because consultants are far to busy to write trivial letters. so anyway got the letter, but I have now been told that because I only had 4 points on the pip mobility section, (which was a big surprise has I am in a wheelchair and attend the pip exam in the chair) I now have to go back to the DLA to try and get the higher points. My question is this, does anyone know the success rate of going back to the pip exam a second time. because I telephoned them and they gave me a serious warning that I could lose my PIP altogether if I had a review, which as scared me and put me right off doing it. my problem is I have developed Diabetic Neuropathy in my left foot and lost most of the feeling, so my condition has worsened since my last pip exam. but I really don't know what to do, but my life would be so much easier with a blue badge. Any help guys, thanks in advance.


Replies

  • chrisvanfchrisvanf Member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Hi @swanmark.
    I applied and was successful with my Blue Badge application without having been awarded PIP.
    Is it possible to do that in your area.  
    Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • swanmarkswanmark Member Posts: 13 Listener
    No they won’t entertain it
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    swanmark said:
    No they won’t entertain it
    What area do you live in?

  • swanmarkswanmark Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Swansea, south Wales
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    chrisvanf said:
    Hi @swanmark.
    I applied and was successful with my Blue Badge application without having been awarded PIP.
    Is it possible to do that in your area


    Then you have been quite lucky. I have been trying to get my 75 year old wife a renewal. Her old one ran out mid August and since then she has had two application forms filled out and had an assessment in a car park with someone from the council. Unfortunately she does not claim DLA or PIP but does get the night & day rate of Attendance Allowance as she needs care and help to get her about indoors day and night never mind outside.

    The assessment was over and done with as soon as she got out of the car in the car park - the assessor was apparently surprised that she managed to get into and out of a Jaguar that she had borrowed from our daughter (my Motability car had been re-possessed) As she went on her own she tells me that the assessor was continually questioning her on how she could manage to drive our daughter's car.

    So I have completed another application (the second) for her and we will see what happens with this one.
  • chrisvanfchrisvanf Member Posts: 64 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    @swanmark .
    I live in Yorkshire.
    Can I take it that the application is different for residents in Wales.

    @Yadnad
    I filled out the form online via the Gov't site.

    I don't think luck came into it, but understand what you mean,
    I met the criteria for a Blue Badge, backed up with documented evidence taken to the assessment from GP and Consultants.(probably the same for you)
    I got the letter to say I had been successful in my application around 2 weeks later.

    At the next GP appointment I asked if they had been contacted by Blue Badge people and my GP said yes, they replied details of my illness and how it affects me in daily life.

    I was awarded PIP about a month later but no mobility component, Weird.
    I fully agree with what you are saying though, the system does seem a little hit and miss.

    Good luck with your current application 
    .
    Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    chrisvanf said:
    @swanmark .
    I live in Yorkshire.
    Can I take it that the application is different for residents in Wales.

    @Yadnad
    I filled out the form online via the Gov't site.

    I don't think luck came into it, but understand what you mean,
    I met the criteria for a Blue Badge, backed up with documented evidence taken to the assessment from GP and Consultants.(probably the same for you)
    I got the letter to say I had been successful in my application around 2 weeks later.

    At the next GP appointment I asked if they had been contacted by Blue Badge people and my GP said yes, they replied details of my illness and how it affects me in daily life.

    I was awarded PIP about a month later but no mobility component, Weird.
    I fully agree with what you are saying though, the system does seem a little hit and miss.

    Good luck with your current application 
    .
    That was the issue my wife had with the first application for renewal. The link that the council gave took me to an online form which I filled out then I faxed over a new photo, letters of evidence & ID and authority to take the £10.
    With the online form it asked if my wife received an automatic right. so I ticked the box NO. Then a question came up asking if she was the same, worse or better than she was back in 2015 when the last badge was issued. I ticked about the same.

    When I got to the end of the online form it just said sent.

    I was a bit confused about the same, worse or better question as it invited everyone to say the same or worse - no one is going to say better if they want a renewal.
    So I rang the County Council and pointed this out. Next thing I had was an email linking me to the old type of form like the one that was completed 3 years ago. The Council admitted that they didn't realise that those with no automatic right were not being asked to give more details. They thanked me for the info and said that they will report it up to the Dept of Transport as an error on the system that they developed. and is used throughout the UK.

    So I completed the form giving details of how far she can walk, medication, surgical procedures etc etc.

    Then she had this assessment which she failed.

    Now I am filling out the old type form once again and ignoring the online version as it is still letting those who don't have automatic authority through with just the one question  - same, worse or better.
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,300 Disability Gamechanger
    I know of one lady who had three applecations refused then a friend in the health care business wrote on her fourth application and she was granted a blue badge without further acessments, it’s sometimes who and what you know.
  • chrisvanfchrisvanf Member Posts: 64 Courageous
    @Yadnad.

    I didn't know there was on old and new form,
    I can only assume that as a new or first time applicant I was guided to a different section.

    Edited, re-edited, bits added, bits taken out spellchecked then edited again, 
  • CazannCazann Member Posts: 88 Pioneering
    Hi @swanmark. I was on DLA for 13 years and had to apply for PIP last year. I was turned down, I appealed but waiting for a date. I contacted my local council and filled in an on-line application for another blue badge. Within about 10 days they granted me another badge.  I think that it is down to your local council, whether you get a badge or not.  This shouldn't be the case, as it's not fair.  Have you contacted your local councilor or MP? Good luck.I hope that you are successful.
  • MisscleoMisscleo Member Posts: 646 Pioneering
    Solihull council are giving out blue badges like sweets to people who are not disabled and have no problem walking.
    God help people who cant walk cos they wont find a parking space now
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited November 2018
    Cazann said:
    Hi @swanmark. I was on DLA for 13 years and had to apply for PIP last year. I was turned down, I appealed but waiting for a date. I contacted my local council and filled in an on-line application for another blue badge. Within about 10 days they granted me another badge.  I think that it is down to your local council, whether you get a badge or not.  This shouldn't be the case, as it's not fair.  Have you contacted your local councilor or MP? Good luck.I hope that you are successful.
    Yes there is the standard on line application that it says that you can use for all renewals - those with automatic entitlement and those without. Unfortunately I found that this on line form when someone is applying to renew AND does not have automatic entitlement it only asks if your walking ability is the same worse or better than it was when the last Blue Badge was issued.
    To me this was ridiculous as everybody is not going to say that it has got better are they which is what I told them.

    So Kent CC now tell claimants to go online, make the application and when they check if you don't have automatic entitlement they email you some 8 weeks later telling you that you must also submit the old form (as it was before it went on line)
    https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/adult-Social-Services/blue-badge/blue-badge-application-form.pdf
    Really there is now no point in filling the on line form as you will still have to fill out the old one by hand .if you don't have automatic entitlement. Waste of everybody's time.Print it off, fill it in in black ink and you must post it back.

    I don't know whether this change now affects all councils.
  • lindadeniselindadenise Member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I have a blue badge dont receive the Mobility part of Pip. I am under Surrey.
  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    I found the local council's paper form easier for adding extra information.  Timings etc.  
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited November 2018
    Tardis said:
    I found the local council's paper form easier for adding extra information.  Timings etc.  
    Tardis said:
    I found the local council's paper form easier for adding extra information.  Timings etc.  

    Your are joking - yes?


    Easy? I'm still trying to get my head around the distance bit and the manner of walking.never mind the surgical procedures they want to know about that have nothing to do with walking How on earth do you measure a distance and time it as well?

  • TardisTardis Member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Umm, google streetview for measurements.  Even the length of house, front path can be done reasonably accurately.  Stopwatch on phone (or watch) for timings.  I actually did this, and also described in detail manner of walking etc.  No further assessment was necessary.

    Easier, because there is space (even if that means using the margins!) to actually write stuff down.  Don't worry about sticking to the questions asked.  Give the answers you need to give.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    Tardis said:
    Umm, google streetview for measurements.  Even the length of house, front path can be done reasonably accurately.  Stopwatch on phone (or watch) for timings.  I actually did this, and also described in detail manner of walking etc.  No further assessment was necessary.

    Easier, because there is space (even if that means using the margins!) to actually write stuff down.  Don't worry about sticking to the questions asked.  Give the answers you need to give.
    It's the answers that I need to give are one of the problems. For example when it asks for details of surgical procedures, how far back do they want to go? Do we include all of them even though some have no bearing on the ability to walk - eg she has had surgery on her liver to remove growths and still has to see the consultant every 6 months for check ups. Who do they want to know who she has dealt with and how far back? Medication should I just show the relevant ones that relate to her walking ability? Does she have to disclose all of her medical/mental health conditions - how far back? even if they are not related to the physical act of walking.
    Telephone stopwatch? No idea what that is. I could time her with my watch.
     
Sign in or join us to comment.