ESA and job termination - what happens next? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA and job termination - what happens next?

angy
angy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I am on esa work related benefit
My contract at my employment has been terminated due to my illness and i wouldnt be save in any other role as i have epilepsy and it is unpredictable when i take a seizure what happens next

Comments

• angy
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @angy
    Im sorry to hear your experience, I hope someone will be along soon who can help you with your enquiry
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • angy
    Thankyou i am not sure what to do or if my benefit will be taken from me i havent worked in 15 months due to my epilepsy being erratic and as i was working in a kitchen its was very unsafe plus i am also waiting on getting my brain surgery to control my seizures just stuck as this is first tim i have had to claim i also got awarded pip to 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    It can be a very stressful and overwhelming time, we do have a benefits calculator here that might help and you can always call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 to speak to someone, good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • angy
    I have done turn to us i am just unsure if my esa will get taken off me due to being terminate and not sure what other benefits i would be entilted to if any
  • angy
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Your contract ending won't affect your ESA claim because you're already claiming ESA in the WRAG.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi @angy as poppy says, ESA is not a form of sick pay for employees, it's more like the equivalent of Jobseekers Allowance for those who are not fit to look for work. 
    Your employment ending therefore has no bearing on your claim for ESA.
    Perhaps also consider a claim for PIP. Benefits and Work website have a 'self test' where you can check if you might qualify. http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php
    Good luck and kind regards, 
    Mary 
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Anna77
    Anna77 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I'm on ESA and my contract will be terminated due to long term sickness (3 spinal surgeries /spinal stenosis/fibromyalgia )
    Question is -do I loose ESA ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Anna77 said:
    I'm on ESA and my contract will be terminated due to long term sickness (3 spinal surgeries /spinal stenosis/fibromyalgia )
    Question is -do I loose ESA ?
    Question answered on your thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/106443/esa-contract-terminated#latest
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.