I have a PIP assessment in a few days time — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I have a PIP assessment in a few days time

holdsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just a little about myself. I live alone and have heart and lung disease with a host of other health related problems. I have joined today as I have a PIP assessment in a few days time and I suppose I am looking for any advice I can find. I understand that this assessment  is really important as I am now 64yrs old and am hoping that what I get assessed will hopefully turn into attendance allowance when I get to that age. Any advice would be great. Thank you.


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @holdsy welcome to the community!

    If you are receiving PIP before the age of 65 then you will continue to receive it after turning 65. Therefore, if you were 65 or over you would need to apply for Attendance Allowance.

    I am sure many members of the community will be more than happy to offer advice and answer any questions you may have regarding your assessment.

    All the best for your assessment and do keep us updated with how you get on! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • holdsy
    holdsy Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for your reply Ami, so you can appreciate that I must do well at this assessment. I know that it is not your conditions, but how it effects your day to day living and just saying that I am tired all the time won't do. Anyway I will have to take a peek at the forums. Holdsy.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Do let us know if we can help you further! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @holdsy we have some information below and you can find more on our PIP page.

    Tips on attending a PIP assessment

    • Ask for the support you need to attend the assessment.
    • Read the assessor's guidance beforehand.
    • Take a copy of your application and supporting evidence.
    • Don't assume the assessor knows anything about you.
    • Talk about the support you need even if you don't get it now.
    • Ask someone who knows you well to come with you.

    Read more on the most common questions about the PIP assessment.

    What should I take to my PIP assessment? Do I need to have letters from doctors?

    It’s a good idea to take a relative or friend with you if possible for moral support. They won’t be able to speak for you but it can be helpful to have another person to support you and take notes.

    Be prepared to talk about how your condition affects you, even if you’ve already detailed it on your PIP claim form. Make sure that you mention the kind of things you have difficulty with, or can’t do at all. If you can do some activities sometimes but not safely or not repeatedly, not within a reasonable timescale or in an acceptable manner, tell the assessor. Make sure that you tell the assessor anything else that you think is important about your condition.

    Take a copy of your PIP claim form and any medical evidence that you want the company (Atos or Capita) to consider, even if you have already sent it in with your form. Appointment letters aren’t especially useful, but letters from your doctor or specialist may be useful.

    That way you can refer to these documents in the assessment. Make sure you tell the assessor everything you want them to know about your condition.

    What should I expect at the assessment?

    A PIP assessment may take up to an hour and a half. The healthcare professional will be observing what you can and can’t do from when you arrive in the car park or from public transport.

    The assessor should ask you about how your condition affects your daily life and mobility. There may be a brief physical examination as well, if your disability is (at least partly) physical.

    If you have a relative or friend with you, they can be in the room with you, but won’t be able to talk for you. Healthcare professionals should consider the needs of vulnerable customers, who they define as “someone who has difficulty in dealing with procedural demands at the time when they need to access a service”.

    Is it possible to record my assessment?

    Atos UK says you can record your assessment if you give prior notice and use (expensive) equipment that can produce two identical copies – one for Atos and one for you. Atos doesn’t allow PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones and MP3.

    The DWP (Department for Work and Pensions) has accepted that customers can ask the company conducting Work Capability Assessments for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) to make a recording, if they ask in advance, but this is not available yet for PIP assessments. 

    Read what Benefits and Work says about secret recordings.

    How can I get a home assessment?

    You need a doctor’s letter confirming that you’re unable to attend an assessment centre and so need a home visit. Try to get this to Atos or Capita as soon as possible, or even send it in with the PIP claim form, to avoid as much difficulty as possible with this.

    What do the DWP take into account when making a decision, or is it done by computer?

    The DWP decision maker will read the completed claim form, the Atos or Capita’s healthcare professional’s report and any attendant medical evidence. 

    I don't know what will happen next. I am really scared and nervous.

    It’s an uncertain time moving from one benefit to another. There has been a lot of news coverage about the problems of claiming PIP but some people move onto this benefit without any problem. Some even get an increased award compared to their DLA.

    You can do a PIP self-test to work out what your entitlement is likely to be. Bear in mind that you count as being unable to do a particular activity if you cannot do it:
    • 50% of the time (a diary can help to show this)
    • safely
    • repeatedly
    • to an acceptable standard or
    • in a reasonable timescale (such as twice the usual time)
    If you do need to challenge an unacceptable award or no award, you will be able to get advice, both with a mandatory reconsideration and, if necessary, an appeal.
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    We also have some information here on Attendance Allowance.

     Attendance Allowance

    Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit for disabled people aged 65 and over with care needs. You need to show you have had care needs for at least 6 months before you can get AA. There are special rules for those who are terminally ill. AA does not cover mobility needs.

    To claim AA, you must be live in the UK and not in a care home or hospital. You will still get AA if you:

    • are in hospital or a care home for less than 4 weeks
    • go abroad for less than 13 weeks
    • go abroad for less than 26 weeks to get medical treatment for a condition which began before you left

    If you receive AA, it may increase the amount of your other benefits or credits, such as extra Housing Benefit or Pension Credit. If you start getting AA, someone looking after you might be able to claim Carer’s Allowance. AA is not seen as income when assessing other benefits. There are two rates:

    • You get the lower rate if you need frequent help during the day or supervision at night.
    • You get the higher rate if you need help or supervision throughout both the day and night or if you are terminally ill.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.