Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Help 😩 housing issues

SJxSJx Member Posts: 10 Listener

I live in private rented accommodation and my landlord is refusing to do repairs and there is ao many problems like mould and big crack in ceiling, gap in front door letting cold in and we have had mice twice etc and it's effecting us emotionally. There is me, my partner and our two children one is autistic. They share a bedroom and that's effecting them as it's so small. Can we get any help to get out this place we feel so trapped and I'm now suffering depression because of it 


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear this @SJx sounds really stressful! Has your landlord stated why he will not do any repairs?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • SJxSJx Member Posts: 10 Listener
    He just says he can't afford it because he's the landlord of about 5 properties including this one. I think he just expects to let the house fall apart and as long as he gets money he doesn't care x
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SJx
    This information is from the gov website:

    What your landlord must do

    Your landlord is always responsible for repairs to:

    • the property’s structure and exterior
    • basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings including pipes and drains
    • heating and hot water
    • gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation
    • electrical wiring
    • any damage they cause by attempting repairs

    If repairs aren’t done

    Contact the environmental health department at your local council for help. They must take action if they think the problems could harm you or cause a nuisance to others.

    If your house isn’t fit to live in

    If you think your home’s unsafe, contact housing department at your local council. They’ll do a Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)assessment and must take action if they think your home has serious health and safety hazards.

    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OTJean_OT Member Posts: 528 Pioneering
    Hi @SJx

    It sounds as if really you would prefer to get rehoused rather than taking steps to try to get your private landlord to comply with basic housing standards.

    If this is the case, talk to the Housing Options Officer at your local authority to see what might be possible and the time scales involved.

    The specialist housing charity Shelter can advise on challenging landlords providing substandard accommodation:   https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Sign in or join us to comment.