The dreaded change over to UV from support group ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

The dreaded change over to UV from support group ESA

NannaP Member Posts: 44 Connected
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all. I am a little well a lot confused. The universal credit is coming to my area and I have been told I will go on UV.
I have been in support group for past 4 years since my health took a turn and I could no longer work. I get the server disability premium. And I have  been told I will lose the SDP and will have to start work again( even thought I'm unable to)
Can anyone tell me if this is correct please.
Im starting to panic.
Thank you.?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger

    You've been advised incorrectly. You'll stay on ESA and your current benefits even when your area changes to UC (not UV) unless a change of circumstances prompts a move across.

    Those that are currently claiming the old benefits won't have to move to UC until at least 2019 possibly much later when managed migrations start. Once they start a transitional protection will be in place so you won't be worse off.

    For now though, there's nothing to worry about and you'll stay as you are.
  • NannaP
    NannaP Member Posts: 44 Connected
    Hi and thank you for explaining it poppy123456.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering


    Poppy is absolutely right - thank you Poppy! Nobody is moved to UC just because their area is going into the full service (that's what it's called when UC comes to an area). As long as you have no need to make any new claims for benefits replaced by UC, you'll stay as you are. Any 'managed migration' where the DWP tell people they have to claim UC won't start until late 2019 as Poppy has explained, & probably later than that.

    In addition, from 16th January 2019 nobody getting the severe disability premium will be able to claim UC, even in a full service area. This is to protect people in exactly your circumstances. Anyone who does get moved over before that date will get some money back. 

    For now, just hang in there. You don't need to claim UC, you don't have to look for work when you are in the support group, and you won't lose your SDP. If you were given the incorrect information by the DWP or local authority I'd consider complaining as they have clearly really worried you unnecessarily.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,525 Disability Gamechanger
    @BenefitsTrainingCo hi Will, do you have a link for that information about those that claim SDP please? I've been looking everywhere for that and can't find the announcement.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.