The dreaded change over to UV from support group ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The dreaded change over to UV from support group ESA

Options
NannaP
NannaP Community member Posts: 44 Connected
edited November 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all. I am a little well a lot confused. The universal credit is coming to my area and I have been told I will go on UV.
I have been in support group for past 4 years since my health took a turn and I could no longer work. I get the server disability premium. And I have  been told I will lose the SDP and will have to start work again( even thought I'm unable to)
Can anyone tell me if this is correct please.
Im starting to panic.
Thank you.?
Pxx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,028 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You've been advised incorrectly. You'll stay on ESA and your current benefits even when your area changes to UC (not UV) unless a change of circumstances prompts a move across.

Those that are currently claiming the old benefits won't have to move to UC until at least 2019 possibly much later when managed migrations start. Once they start a transitional protection will be in place so you won't be worse off.

For now though, there's nothing to worry about and you'll stay as you are.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • NannaP
    NannaP Community member Posts: 44 Connected
    Options
    Hi and thank you for explaining it poppy123456.
    Px
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

NannaP
    NannaP,

Poppy is absolutely right - thank you Poppy! Nobody is moved to UC just because their area is going into the full service (that's what it's called when UC comes to an area). As long as you have no need to make any new claims for benefits replaced by UC, you'll stay as you are. Any 'managed migration' where the DWP tell people they have to claim UC won't start until late 2019 as Poppy has explained, & probably later than that.

In addition, from 16th January 2019 nobody getting the severe disability premium will be able to claim UC, even in a full service area. This is to protect people in exactly your circumstances. Anyone who does get moved over before that date will get some money back. 

For now, just hang in there. You don't need to claim UC, you don't have to look for work when you are in the support group, and you won't lose your SDP. If you were given the incorrect information by the DWP or local authority I'd consider complaining as they have clearly really worried you unnecessarily.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,028 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @BenefitsTrainingCo hi Will, do you have a link for that information about those that claim SDP please? I've been looking everywhere for that and can't find the announcement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.