House outside the UK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

House outside the UK

I`m new here, and I`m wondering if anyone can help with the following:
I`m in receipt of Income Related ESA and I will be getting married next year. My American fiancée owns a house in the USA, and I`m wondering what effect this will have on my ESA. It`s in a very rural area, and will probably be quite difficult to sell or rent (My fiancée`s friend had a better property in the same area until recently, which took her four years to sell).
Will the fact that the house is overseas matter? Or the fact that she`s not British, and subject to immigration control and therefore ineligible for UK benefits?
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks in advance.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.