Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

House outside the UK

Hello,
I`m new here, and I`m wondering if anyone can help with the following:
I`m in receipt of Income Related ESA and I will be getting married next year. My American fiancée owns a house in the USA, and I`m wondering what effect this will have on my ESA. It`s in a very rural area, and will probably be quite difficult to sell or rent (My fiancée`s friend had a better property in the same area until recently, which took her four years to sell).
Will the fact that the house is overseas matter? Or the fact that she`s not British, and subject to immigration control and therefore ineligible for UK benefits?
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You'll need to get expert advice regarding this and an internet forum isn't the place. Sorry i can't be of anymore help but this situation is rather complex. Good luck.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • SlatibartfastSlatibartfast Member Posts: 2 Listener
    OK, thank you.
Sign in or join us to comment.