House outside the UK — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

House outside the UK

Options
Hello,
I`m new here, and I`m wondering if anyone can help with the following:
I`m in receipt of Income Related ESA and I will be getting married next year. My American fiancée owns a house in the USA, and I`m wondering what effect this will have on my ESA. It`s in a very rural area, and will probably be quite difficult to sell or rent (My fiancée`s friend had a better property in the same area until recently, which took her four years to sell).
Will the fact that the house is overseas matter? Or the fact that she`s not British, and subject to immigration control and therefore ineligible for UK benefits?
Does anyone have any idea?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You'll need to get expert advice regarding this and an internet forum isn't the place. Sorry i can't be of anymore help but this situation is rather complex. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Slatibartfast
    Slatibartfast Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    OK, thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.