PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Had my pip assessment yesterday.

Eadiesmummy1Eadiesmummy1 Member Posts: 90 Courageous
I recently bit the bullet and after a 9 week wait i finally had my pip assessment yesterday. I have hemipilegic migraines, benign intracranial hypertension, trigeminal neuralgia on the right side, blepharitis and facial hypesthesia which is unexplained at the moment on my left side and my periphial vision is also damaged, im only 22 so was reluctant to put myself down as "limited" in the things i can do. the assessor was nice, tried tripping me up a few times and strangely found no reflex in my left leg (strange). i sent in loads of evidence. the assessor told me her daughter had benign intracranial hypertension and got better without medication, and that some of the medication i take (pregabalin) is the same as she takes herself. i do take many other meds that i wont bore you all with. 
my question is how long did you all wait from the assessment period to the decision? and how can i obtain a copy of the assessors report? 
many thanks, Laura x 

Replies

• pixie61pixie61 Member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I phoned up after 10days & got my report 2days later. The whole thing was packed with lies & she twisted my words. I’m contemplating making a complaint against her. She described me as of average size for 61, not unkempt, and didn’t look tired or ill. What relevance is all that anyway. I’m 5ft & weigh 6st 7ibs, is that average size for my age??? It’s rubbish. She put down things she didn’t get me to do as well. Whole system is a farce
  • Eadiesmummy1Eadiesmummy1 Member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Wow pixie! i do hope that you are going to ask for a reconsideration as she sounds like a very opinionated and unprofessional assessor! To be honest im not quite sure what average is but she also asked me if id lost weight since the trigeminal neuralgia diagnosis (probably due to pain when chewing so i cut meals down to 1 or even half when its too agonising to carry on) I cant believe the system penalising people by what they look like and to call you just "average" to be labelled in that way. disgusting. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    My assessor did the same. They c cut and paste" in their minds information given so that it looks like you said something that you didnt. They say you dont look tired when you feel exausted. They say you have normal hand strength when squeezing their hands ...when actually you know you cant squeeze with force due to painful joints! Also stated i could bend to reach  my knees but no further when i was sat on my scooter the whole time....iof course i could touch my knees i was sat down 
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    My son’s assessment report was full of inaccuracies. My only piece of advice is to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. I took a highlighter pen and I carefully spent several minutes circling any errors in the report. My next step was to ask politely for a mandatory reconsideration. Good luck. 
    It’s discrimination I think, so I am going to complain. I was on DLA enhanced on both care & mobility. Now I’m on middle rate for care & norhing for mobility, I’m cured!!!! So I’m doing an MR as well. We don’t need this stress, it makes our conditions worse!! 
    lets hope we all get the decision we want when we ask for MR! she was just comparing me to her daughter. im not her daughter, i have many other neuro problems which make the others symptoms heighten. i could have punched mine lol x 
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    pixie61 said:
    I phoned up after 10days & got my report 2days later. The whole thing was packed with lies & she twisted my words. I’m contemplating making a complaint against her. She described me as of average size for 61, not unkempt, and didn’t look tired or ill. What relevance is all that anyway. I’m 5ft & weigh 6st 7ibs, is that average size for my age??? It’s rubbish. She put down things she didn’t get me to do as well. Whole system is a farce
    The assessor will have made assumptions as to how you appeared. Not looking ill or tired and that you look after your appearance is generally seen as not really having any medical or other issues. 

The report is generally made of opinion and conjecture. Saying that the assessor is a liar cannot be proved. If they say you did something but didn't, again, only you know the truth - there is no evidence that you can produce that will show it to be a lie.  
    My husband was with me! However if we think that about liars, we’d never challenge anything! In my mind she was discriminative! Also most people who have had Assesment’s have experienced the same treatment from their assessors. It’s about time we stood up & complained about the treatment of disabled people
    pixie61 said:
    My husband was with me! However if we think that about liars, we’d never challenge anything! In my mind she was discriminative! Also most people who have had Assesment’s have experienced the same treatment from their assessors. It’s about time we stood up & complained about the treatment of disabled people
    You can only hope for the truth to come out if you want to make the complaint official if you can provide independent evidence that the assessor has told lies. Having a family member support you will not be accepted as independent evidence. 

As for the DWP, they will under normal circumstances accept what is in the assessor's report  as being the truth and will make a decision based on it. 
    If you are not happy with that decision then it is up to you to prove that the assessor and the DWP are wrong.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    When you say "most" people receive bad reports with lies and untruths etc, is not exactly correct.

Lots of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all but we rarely hear their story. Naturally when reading stories on the internet we'll only ever hear the bad ones. If someone has had an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask, therefore we don't hear their story.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    pixie61 said:
    she definitely sounds it to me! all in all i think its the not knowing thats getting to me. ive heard a lot say they think they will be scored poorly but they end up with lots of points etc, only time will tell i imagine. xx
    When you say "most" people receive bad reports with lies and untruths etc, is not exactly correct.

Lots of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all but we rarely hear their story. Naturally when reading stories on the internet we'll only ever hear the bad ones. If someone has had an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask, therefore we don't hear their story.
    i agree, theres hardly any positive stories online. my mum claimed and had no issues whatsoever x 
    I was on ehanced for care & mobility for 11years on DLA transferring to pip, I’ve lost my mobility part &  down graded  to standard care! They don’t even look at the DLA award form. Not even my claim for pip form I had to fill in, which was exactly the same as the one I did for DLA was taken into consideration. It was the assessors opinion of me from a 45 min appt. she told lies & made an opinion of how I was as a person! I was very poorly that morning, in excruciating pain! I was deemed to look well & I could hold a conversation with her & I wasn’t unkempt! So we disabled people have to be dirty, stupid & thick. Huge discrimination there I feel. Sorry for going on, but this is affecting lots of disabled claimants!
    I have been told that Dwp are not taking DLA claimants into acct. we have to make a new claim!! Our past ex amount of years in the system means diddly squat. I feel very strongly about this, because I’m reading other people getting the same treatment as myself & the struggles they are going through, it’s heart wrenching. We are dealing with our health conditions, we don’t need this fight!! 
    pixie61 said:
    I was on ehanced for care & mobility for 11years on DLA transferring to pip, I’ve lost my mobility part &  down graded  to standard care! They don’t even look at the DLA award form. Not even my claim for pip form I had to fill in, which was exactly the same as the one I did for DLA was taken into consideration. It was the assessors opinion of me from a 45 min appt. she told lies & made an opinion of how I was as a person! I was very poorly that morning, in excruciating pain! I was deemed to look well & I could hold a conversation with her & I wasn’t unkempt! So we disabled people have to be dirty, stupid & thick. Huge discrimination there I feel. Sorry for going on, but this is affecting lots of disabled claimants!
    Dont apologise! Everyone needs to vent sometimes and i genuinely understand your frustration. i had my hair up in a top knot (my sister did it) she said, did you get your hair up like that? i said no my sister did it, i have had the same hair style for the past 3 days. I thought really? why is my hair do even relevent? haha x
    Why is it that people with permanent health conditions on need to make a new claim to PIP after already recieving their DLA? i personally think its just very very strange. 
    I don’t really know. I’ve heard stories of people being on DLA for 20years & refused pip. It’s awful, just wish I was well enough to really fight for all of us! 

Not too sure if that reply Poppy is being directed at me? In any event I have not said 'most'. 

On the other hand it is naïve to think that most reports are accurate and that people claim PIP without any problems. Many people do accept the award made even though the report in parts may well not be accurate. They don't want to rock the boat or are simply happy with what they have been given.

I would imagine that there are not that many reports that are totally accurate in every respect.

pixie61 said:
    Well I didn't feel discriminated against after receiving three PIP decisions over the past 5 years offering me 0 points! I actually ignored the contents of those reports as they are nothing more than opinions and not statements of fact much the same that our window cleaner could have given his opinion.
    It isn't the intention of the assessor to discriminate against the disabled. It certainly isn't a personal issue either.

edited November 2018
    Why is it that people with permanent health conditions on need to make a new claim to PIP after already recieving their DLA? i personally think its just very very strange. 
    Because you are being assessed in a totally different way - DLA assessed it one way and PIP does it a different way.

Over the years (from 1992) DLA and the way it should be awarded had been watered down so much by the courts. So much so that by 2013 it bore no resemblance to what the government intended it to cover back in 1992. Some DLA awards were being made without any real evidence being submitted and certainly without be assessed on a face to face basis. On top of that once a DLA award was made it was highly likely that you would never be asked to re-prove your entitlement. Some claimants of DLA had been receiving it for over 20 years with the DWP relying on the honesty of the claimant to tell them that they felt no longer eligible. Because of this the cost of DLA had to be reduced by 20% so as to save money.
    The government wanted to start afresh with a new idea on how the impact of a disability can be measured. They decided on descriptors and allocated points to those descriptors much the same as the new ESA system was working.

pixie61 said:
    I don’t really know. I’ve heard stories of people being on DLA for 20years & refused pip. It’s awful, just wish I was well enough to really fight for all of us! 
    Because PIP and DLA are assessed in a different way.
    I had been claiming DLA since 1995 and had been awarded it at the High rates for both Care & Mobility indefinitely.
    I was moved to PIP and scored 0 points. This happened three times in total in the last 5 years. By the end I gave up claiming it as it was more trouble than it was worth - age and illness was making it difficult.
    I’m sorry to hear that, the system rubbish isn’t it. Hope you’re ok xx
  • SpibesSpibes Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Sorry to hear what you folks are going through hope the MR goes well for you. 

I have my first pip assessment on the 29th and I'm terrified. 
    Thanks for everyones response, yadnad your knowledge is amazing. pixie i hope that everything goes well for you and spibes im terrified too. i wish they could just tell us there and then but we must wait, please do update once you recieve your decision xxx 
    Yadnad said:

Not too sure if that reply Poppy is being directed at me? In any event I have not said 'most'. 

On the other hand it is naïve to think that most reports are accurate and that people claim PIP without any problems. Many people do accept the award made even though the report in parts may well not be accurate. They don't want to rock the boat or are simply happy with what they have been given.

I would imagine that there are not that many reports that are totally accurate in every respect.

Nope it wasn't directed at you. I'm not naive thanks. I never said that "most" reports are accurate.

Would you like to point out where exactly i said that please because i can't see any where in the above quote where i did state that. What i said was that saying that most reports are inaccurate isn't exactly correct. People do receive truthful reports and claim PIP successfully without any problems.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Yadnad said:

Nope it wasn't directed at you. I'm not naive thanks. I never said that "most" reports are accurate.

Would you like to point out where exactly i said that please because i can't see any where in the above quote where i did state that. What i said was that saying that most reports are inaccurate isn't exactly correct. People do receive truthful reports and claim PIP successfully without any problems.
    I agree with you, my mum has had a fantastic experience they were so quick, within a week of face to face she was awarded. On the other hand ive waited 3 months just for the face to face. x 
    Thanks this forum and people on twitter have been really supportive I'll update after the assessment and once I receive the decision. 

I also have ESA to worry about sent off my esa50 off last week 2nd reassessment for that, very stressful stuff but I'll continue to be positive. 

Quick query, if I do get pip daily living even if standard does that make me entitled to the severe disability premium on my esa support group award? 
    SDP is payable, if no one claims Carers allowance for looking after you and you live alone, or classed as living alone. Along with daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care ( for others that may read this)
    Brilliant thank you poppy you're a star!
    @Spibes i had my work assessment for UC last Wednesday. Assessor was lovely (nice looking too hahah!) hope all goes well for you. @poppy123456 thanks for your info xx 
  • blitzy123blitzy123 Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    @Eadiesmummy1 try not to worry to much my son went well he was actally awarded  higher than he was on on dla everyone has different expericences  try not to worry til u see report  i requested my sons 4 days after and rec week later   hope you get the outcome you deserve 
    edited November 2018
    @Eadiesmummy1 That's brilliant last assessment I had for esa was at Christmas on 27th December so hoping it's not Christmas again and hoping for January. 

Haha funnily enough when I had my autism assessment when my mum came with me in August we both mentioned the male assesor was smoking hot (he looked like Chris Pratt) and that diagnosis went well so hoping that full report will help my esa and pip claims. 
    Forums are usually the worst place to visit while you're applying for something. You read far too much many bad things and not enough good to keep your spirits up. Stressful times applying for any benefit like this.

My daughter and myself were both refused DLA. Both went onto to claim PIP successfully a couple of years later, with exactly the same conditions affecting us. So as i said, it's not always bad news. Good luck to all those waiting for decisions!
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    I've had several bad assessments, but also one good one. The report was very accurate.
    @blitzy123 thank you very much, i think im just a genuinely paranoid person haha. @Spibes i kept losing concentrarion, i took my mum and even she was staring lol. @poppy123456 thanks again, always a great help. so glad you got it in the end. @Waylay glad you recieved an accurate report! They are querying MS for me as i have developed so many neuro problems over the last year or so, have no reflex in left leg and unexplained right sided facial numbness, my legs stop working sometimes as do my hands. Hoping for diagnosis soon xx 
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    @Eadiesmummy1
    Yeah, 1 accurate assessment out of 6. :/
    @Waylay sorry i misread that! 1/6 is not good at all! x 
    @Waylay sorry i misread that! 1/6 is not good at all! x 
    Neither is 0/3 in my case!
    @Yadnad have you appealed any?  x 
    @Yadnad have you appealed any?  x 
    The first two (2013 & 2015) were changed at MR stage from 0 points to Enhanced Care & Mobility. The third one (2017) when it went for MR the decision came back - no change.
    At that point I gave up as the thought of this going on for the next 20 years until I am 90 was far too much to cope with - no appeal was lodged, just the MR.
    @Yadnad utterly ridiculous process isnt it x
  • lindleylindley Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yadnad said:

• lindleylindley Member Posts: 3 Listener
     It has been documented that some have taken their lives because of the way this PIP system work's and I know as I lost a friend because she felt she was treated like a liar and made to feel totally worthless.I went online to check to see if some others did the same and was heartbreaking to read,so yes it does happen and now I'm going through the same thing and I know now how my friend truly felt.
    I agree, they know the whole pip system affects disabled people so unfairly, adds to their condition with the stress & anxiety it causes yet they continue to do so. Why isn’t this system being checked or monitored! 
  • Fireantguy22Fireantguy22 Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Mental health sufferer for 20 years seen all the professionals over the years diagnosed severe obsessive comulsive disorder,depression and anxiety and mental issues.been on dla low rate for 20 year been though doctors nurses homehekp said I should of been middle to high and now after a 6 week wait got my pip letter yesterday 0 points on everything,pip is a sham this government wants to hold there heads in shame.im at a loss now I don't get a penny in my name now but I have a council tax bill because my with is a uni student.im so sick now with all this added stress.

• patriciahendypatriciahendy Member Posts: 20 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Went with Jan to her "assessment" on 2nd. We found the building, a grubby looking ground floor office, windows covered over with PIP assessments notices here and there. Rang the bell, a miserable looking "receptionist" opened the door, no greeting, no eye contact. Jan presented her ID and asked for the name of the Doctor. The reply was, "There are no Doctors here". Jan was called in, I sat over in the corner behind her. The "assessor" did not introduce herself, Jan had to ask who she was and what were her qualifications!!  Apparently, she was "a Physiotherapist named Chris", [name and description removed by moderator] I must admit, it was difficult to understand her at times!

Jan also made it clear that she felt humiliated and degraded at having to be "assessed" at her age, (touching 70 and having the disability which is deteriorating) First question, "Do you have a dog or other pets at home"? I thought, oh, "Here we go", I've heard of this one before! Next question, "Do you have a washing machine"? No was the answer to both. I guess if the reply is "yes" then it will be assumed that a person can bend to attach a leash and to load a machine! Next question, " List the schools attended". What the heck does this mean? No relevance at all . The "assessors" reason for this was, "We need to get a whole picture of you"!! They are looking for "point losing" aspects throughout the "assessment"

This "assessment" was of 47 minutes duration and for the whole of the 47 minutes the "assessor" was typing non-stop! Questioning was absolutely incessant an interrogation! These "assessors" are real "keyboard Queens". It is nothing but a disgrace  and disrespectful to have to sit in front of an unqualified stranger and reveal ones medical history! The DWP must be aware that if qualified medical personnel were engaged in the "assessments" this scandal, rotten to the core, disrespectful, discriminatory and breach of human rights would not be happening.

Disabled folk are being targeted in the name of saving money but these companies, Atos and Capita are set to "rake in" approx. £700 million from the government (in times of austerity) for these so called "assessments". It would be interesting to know how much these "assessors" are being paid! The system is in total chaos, the government and DWP knows it but it carries on! This is money that is owed to the genuinely disabled. Lastly, Jan was asked to raise her arms straight above her head, put her chin on her chest and throw her head back!! She was unable to do these "exercises" in a satisfactory manner.  We did note that on line there was a report that the "assessors" have one weeks training to do their "assessing" which consists mainly of "keyboard work and point scoring"! What a shambles, it's 2018 and things are going downhill fast.
    I agree with everything you’ve said. I was assessed by a nurse, she listed down everything she supposedly asked me to do, All lies! I’m currently putting together an MR, basically irriterating everything I said on my initial claim. The desicion was based on my 45 min assesment, not on what  I’m like on a daily basis! I’m 61 & have had fibro, Rheumatoid & Osteoarthritis for 14 years! It was also put down I was off average size for my age, I’m just over 5ft & weigh 7st 6Ibs. Is that average? Oh & I wasn’t unkempt! I do shower & change my clothes with help from my husband! I have pride in myself, even if I am disabled! It’s shocking what they wrote & judge us on!! Hope your friend gets a favourable outcome x
    Went with Jan to her "assessment" on 2nd. We found the building, a grubby looking ground floor office, windows covered over with PIP assessments notices here and there. Rang the bell, a miserable looking "receptionist" opened the door, no greeting, no eye contact. Jan presented her ID and asked for the name of the Doctor. The reply was, "There are no Doctors here". Jan was called in, I sat over in the corner behind her. The "assessor" did not introduce herself, Jan had to ask who she was and what were her qualifications!!  Apparently, she was "a Physiotherapist named Chris", [name and description removed by moderator] I must admit, it was difficult to understand her at times!

Jan also made it clear that she felt humiliated and degraded at having to be "assessed" at her age, (touching 70 and having the disability which is deteriorating) First question, "Do you have a dog or other pets at home"? I thought, oh, "Here we go", I've heard of this one before! Next question, "Do you have a washing machine"? No was the answer to both. I guess if the reply is "yes" then it will be assumed that a person can bend to attach a leash and to load a machine! Next question, " List the schools attended". What the heck does this mean? No relevance at all . The "assessors" reason for this was, "We need to get a whole picture of you"!! They are looking for "point losing" aspects throughout the "assessment"

This "assessment" was of 47 minutes duration and for the whole of the 47 minutes the "assessor" was typing non-stop! Questioning was absolutely incessant an interrogation! These "assessors" are real "keyboard Queens". It is nothing but a disgrace  and disrespectful to have to sit in front of an unqualified stranger and reveal ones medical history! The DWP must be aware that if qualified medical personnel were engaged in the "assessments" this scandal, rotten to the core, disrespectful, discriminatory and breach of human rights would not be happening.

Disabled folk are being targeted in the name of saving money but these companies, Atos and Capita are set to "rake in" approx. £700 million from the government (in times of austerity) for these so called "assessments". It would be interesting to know how much these "assessors" are being paid! The system is in total chaos, the government and DWP knows it but it carries on! This is money that is owed to the genuinely disabled. Lastly, Jan was asked to raise her arms straight above her head, put her chin on her chest and throw her head back!! She was unable to do these "exercises" in a satisfactory manner.  We did note that on line there was a report that the "assessors" have one weeks training to do their "assessing" which consists mainly of "keyboard work and point scoring"! What a shambles, it's 2018 and things are going downhill fast.
    What can I say that I haven't said already on this site. I too am 70 and since 2013 I have had three of this type of assessment.
    After the third one I gave up as no amount of money can compensate me for the stress and worry that I go through after each assessment.  Now I am well over £200 a week down on income but content - poor but happy.

Mind you if some charitable organisation wants to take up the fight on my behalf then good luck to them. 
  • Fireantguy22Fireantguy22 Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    The whole system is a shambolic mess,a money making game for the rich to get richer and stuff the needy,I hope theresa May gets ousted out and very soon!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1 Listener
    edited October 2019
    i have recently had a PIP assessment/interrogation and have waited more than 6 weeks for a decision so asked for a copy of the report, which arrived the very next day...  low and behold there are MANY 'errors' entered by the assessor.
    many facts about the disabilities i suffer from not entered in the report.
    The assessor tried over and over to trip me up...the questions were at a fast pace and i found it difficult keeping up and remembering details or understanding what was required.
    i was given a form to sign as i arrived, all very hurriedly, obviously staged now i look back. says in the report, no issue signing form. i foolishly signed the form without reading it as i felt an element of trust.
    i went in naively feeling i was going to be treated respectfully by the 'nurse' assessor but NO!
    i forgot to take my diary that i keep a log of falls, accidents etc, if you have one take it, it may help.
    so, please. be careful, guard yourself they really are unpleasant self-serving vultures. :s
    social cleansing is vile!

Sign in or join us to comment.