Had my pip assessment yesterday. - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Had my pip assessment yesterday.

13»

Comments

• Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Community member Posts: 90 Courageous
    @Yadnad utterly ridiculous process isnt it x
  • lindley
    lindley Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Yadnad said:
    When you say "most" people receive bad reports with lies and untruths etc, is not exactly correct.

Lots of people claim PIP successfully without any problems at all but we rarely hear their story. Naturally when reading stories on the internet we'll only ever hear the bad ones. If someone has had an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask, therefore we don't hear their story.
    Not too sure if that reply Poppy is being directed at me? In any event I have not said 'most'. 

On the other hand it is naïve to think that most reports are accurate and that people claim PIP without any problems. Many people do accept the award made even though the report in parts may well not be accurate. They don't want to rock the boat or are simply happy with what they have been given.

I would imagine that there are not that many reports that are totally accurate in every respect.

• lindley
    lindley Community member Posts: 3 Listener
     It has been documented that some have taken their lives because of the way this PIP system work's and I know as I lost a friend because she felt she was treated like a liar and made to feel totally worthless.I went online to check to see if some others did the same and was heartbreaking to read,so yes it does happen and now I'm going through the same thing and I know now how my friend truly felt.
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I agree, they know the whole pip system affects disabled people so unfairly, adds to their condition with the stress & anxiety it causes yet they continue to do so. Why isn’t this system being checked or monitored! 
  • Fireantguy22
    Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Mental health sufferer for 20 years seen all the professionals over the years diagnosed severe obsessive comulsive disorder,depression and anxiety and mental issues.been on dla low rate for 20 year been though doctors nurses homehekp said I should of been middle to high and now after a 6 week wait got my pip letter yesterday 0 points on everything,pip is a sham this government wants to hold there heads in shame.im at a loss now I don't get a penny in my name now but I have a council tax bill because my with is a uni student.im so sick now with all this added stress.

• patriciahendy
    patriciahendy Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    Went with Jan to her "assessment" on 2nd. We found the building, a grubby looking ground floor office, windows covered over with PIP assessments notices here and there. Rang the bell, a miserable looking "receptionist" opened the door, no greeting, no eye contact. Jan presented her ID and asked for the name of the Doctor. The reply was, "There are no Doctors here". Jan was called in, I sat over in the corner behind her. The "assessor" did not introduce herself, Jan had to ask who she was and what were her qualifications!!  Apparently, she was "a Physiotherapist named Chris", [name and description removed by moderator] I must admit, it was difficult to understand her at times!

Jan also made it clear that she felt humiliated and degraded at having to be "assessed" at her age, (touching 70 and having the disability which is deteriorating) First question, "Do you have a dog or other pets at home"? I thought, oh, "Here we go", I've heard of this one before! Next question, "Do you have a washing machine"? No was the answer to both. I guess if the reply is "yes" then it will be assumed that a person can bend to attach a leash and to load a machine! Next question, " List the schools attended". What the heck does this mean? No relevance at all . The "assessors" reason for this was, "We need to get a whole picture of you"!! They are looking for "point losing" aspects throughout the "assessment"

This "assessment" was of 47 minutes duration and for the whole of the 47 minutes the "assessor" was typing non-stop! Questioning was absolutely incessant an interrogation! These "assessors" are real "keyboard Queens". It is nothing but a disgrace  and disrespectful to have to sit in front of an unqualified stranger and reveal ones medical history! The DWP must be aware that if qualified medical personnel were engaged in the "assessments" this scandal, rotten to the core, disrespectful, discriminatory and breach of human rights would not be happening.

Disabled folk are being targeted in the name of saving money but these companies, Atos and Capita are set to "rake in" approx. £700 million from the government (in times of austerity) for these so called "assessments". It would be interesting to know how much these "assessors" are being paid! The system is in total chaos, the government and DWP knows it but it carries on! This is money that is owed to the genuinely disabled. Lastly, Jan was asked to raise her arms straight above her head, put her chin on her chest and throw her head back!! She was unable to do these "exercises" in a satisfactory manner.  We did note that on line there was a report that the "assessors" have one weeks training to do their "assessing" which consists mainly of "keyboard work and point scoring"! What a shambles, it's 2018 and things are going downhill fast.
  • pixie61
    pixie61 Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    I agree with everything you’ve said. I was assessed by a nurse, she listed down everything she supposedly asked me to do, All lies! I’m currently putting together an MR, basically irriterating everything I said on my initial claim. The desicion was based on my 45 min assesment, not on what  I’m like on a daily basis! I’m 61 & have had fibro, Rheumatoid & Osteoarthritis for 14 years! It was also put down I was off average size for my age, I’m just over 5ft & weigh 7st 6Ibs. Is that average? Oh & I wasn’t unkempt! I do shower & change my clothes with help from my husband! I have pride in myself, even if I am disabled! It’s shocking what they wrote & judge us on!! Hope your friend gets a favourable outcome x
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Went with Jan to her "assessment" on 2nd. We found the building, a grubby looking ground floor office, windows covered over with PIP assessments notices here and there. Rang the bell, a miserable looking "receptionist" opened the door, no greeting, no eye contact. Jan presented her ID and asked for the name of the Doctor. The reply was, "There are no Doctors here". Jan was called in, I sat over in the corner behind her. The "assessor" did not introduce herself, Jan had to ask who she was and what were her qualifications!!  Apparently, she was "a Physiotherapist named Chris", [name and description removed by moderator] I must admit, it was difficult to understand her at times!

Jan also made it clear that she felt humiliated and degraded at having to be "assessed" at her age, (touching 70 and having the disability which is deteriorating) First question, "Do you have a dog or other pets at home"? I thought, oh, "Here we go", I've heard of this one before! Next question, "Do you have a washing machine"? No was the answer to both. I guess if the reply is "yes" then it will be assumed that a person can bend to attach a leash and to load a machine! Next question, " List the schools attended". What the heck does this mean? No relevance at all . The "assessors" reason for this was, "We need to get a whole picture of you"!! They are looking for "point losing" aspects throughout the "assessment"

This "assessment" was of 47 minutes duration and for the whole of the 47 minutes the "assessor" was typing non-stop! Questioning was absolutely incessant an interrogation! These "assessors" are real "keyboard Queens". It is nothing but a disgrace  and disrespectful to have to sit in front of an unqualified stranger and reveal ones medical history! The DWP must be aware that if qualified medical personnel were engaged in the "assessments" this scandal, rotten to the core, disrespectful, discriminatory and breach of human rights would not be happening.

Disabled folk are being targeted in the name of saving money but these companies, Atos and Capita are set to "rake in" approx. £700 million from the government (in times of austerity) for these so called "assessments". It would be interesting to know how much these "assessors" are being paid! The system is in total chaos, the government and DWP knows it but it carries on! This is money that is owed to the genuinely disabled. Lastly, Jan was asked to raise her arms straight above her head, put her chin on her chest and throw her head back!! She was unable to do these "exercises" in a satisfactory manner.  We did note that on line there was a report that the "assessors" have one weeks training to do their "assessing" which consists mainly of "keyboard work and point scoring"! What a shambles, it's 2018 and things are going downhill fast.
    What can I say that I haven't said already on this site. I too am 70 and since 2013 I have had three of this type of assessment.
    After the third one I gave up as no amount of money can compensate me for the stress and worry that I go through after each assessment.  Now I am well over £200 a week down on income but content - poor but happy.

Mind you if some charitable organisation wants to take up the fight on my behalf then good luck to them. 
  • Fireantguy22
    Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    The whole system is a shambolic mess,a money making game for the rich to get richer and stuff the needy,I hope theresa May gets ousted out and very soon!!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1 Listener
    edited October 2019
    i have recently had a PIP assessment/interrogation and have waited more than 6 weeks for a decision so asked for a copy of the report, which arrived the very next day...  low and behold there are MANY 'errors' entered by the assessor.
    many facts about the disabilities i suffer from not entered in the report.
    The assessor tried over and over to trip me up...the questions were at a fast pace and i found it difficult keeping up and remembering details or understanding what was required.
    i was given a form to sign as i arrived, all very hurriedly, obviously staged now i look back. says in the report, no issue signing form. i foolishly signed the form without reading it as i felt an element of trust.
    i went in naively feeling i was going to be treated respectfully by the 'nurse' assessor but NO!
    i forgot to take my diary that i keep a log of falls, accidents etc, if you have one take it, it may help.
    so, please. be careful, guard yourself they really are unpleasant self-serving vultures. :s
    social cleansing is vile!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.