Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ESA3(IBR) + Savings/Proof and What happens afterwards?

ChaoticmessChaoticmess Member Posts: 4 Listener
I've just received an ESA3(IBR) form and a ton of stress because of it. I've spent the last couple of days trying to understand the ins and outs of it and i think I've grasped some of it like how it's to see if I'm owed some money rather than the start of making a whole new claim which was my main stressor when i first got it.

Now however i find myself left with some specific questions about it. A lot of them revolve around my savings and the time period their now looking into.

The claim is from 2012 which is when i got transferred over from incapacity benefit and put in the support group for contribution based ESA. However I should have been put on income related ESA and received the enhanced premium benefit thing because I'm in the support group which i believe is what this whole back payment thing revolves around.

For some of this time period though I had savings over £5500, generally by about £1000-2000. This is where things start to get confusing.

The way i understand it is that the enhanced benefit payment I should have received as extra would have been around £15 but thanks to my savings of, let's say we take the highest point, £8000 I would have had that extra £15 reduced by £2500 / £250 = £10 a week leaving me with a remaining £5 a week not being paid me over this time period.

Is this correct and more importantly what this owed back payment will be calculated using resulting in me getting a lump sum payment in the region of around £1500?

Or is it more a case of the gov deciding to fork me completely by simply saying if i have/had over £5500 now or then I'm not allowed to get back what I'm owed? This is something I'm finding hard to pin down and understand.

My assumption is that, like I calculated above, I'd simply have the amount my savings would have  reduced the enhanced benefit by at the time i should have received it knocked off the full amount I'd have been owed otherwise (around £4600). Is this right?

I don't want to have to fill out the form and deal with the stress doing so comes with it only to find out afterwards that because i have savings over £5500 they automatically disqualify me.

Separate to this but also related, assuming I'm not automatically disqualified for having over £5500 in savings, the form asks for proof of my savings and gave an example of sending them a recent bank statement. This has confused me a little.

Can i just send them a recent bank and ISA statement showing them what my current savings are and that their over £5500? Or do i somehow need to prove/send them all of my finances since 2012?

It didn't seem very clear to me given how their example was to send them a recent bank statement. If all i do is that how do they work out how much I'm owed back from 2012?

And if I am meant to send them every statement since 2012 what do i do if i don't have them anymore? They  ask for original documents but everything's gone paperless these days and  I can't figure out if that simply means no photocopies or nothing that isn't generated by my bank?

Do they accept statements printed out via my online bank account? IF not how do i send them original documents unless i print them off?

My last question has to do with the final outcome. Obviously there are only 2 possible end results either they assess me and pay back what I'm owed or they say I'm not owed anything for some stupid reason.

I'm very confident however that I'm meant to be in the income related group and should be getting the enhanced benefit premium. I assume they must know/suspect this too otherwise they wouldn't have bothered sending me this form in the first place?

What i want to know though is regardless of what the outcome is, in terms of whether i get paid back what I'm owed or not, will I finally get switched from contribution based ESA to income related automatically and start receiving the enhanced premium benefit after this reassessment or will i need to do something else for that to happen?

Any help/guidance about any of these questions would highly appreciated.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Firstly you have the savings figure incorrect. The bottom figure before it starts affect any means tested benefits you claim is £6,000, so £1 for every £250 over this amount. Living with a partner that works and other household income will also affect any income related top up you can claim.

Bank statements will be needed. I'm not sure if they will accept them printed from online banking but i'm sure that won't be a problem. You'll have to prove the amount of savings/ capital and household income you have had/still have since 2012, they won't just take your word for it.

If you're owed the money you'll receive it.

You'll always remain on contributions based ESA for as long as you're in the Support Group. It will just mean you'll have an income related top up, if successful after you've been assessed.Savings/capital doesn't affect contributions based ESA only income related because it's means tested.

The income related top up will mean you'll have free prescriptions, dental etc. It can take anything up to 12 weeks in some cases to assess you.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • ChaoticmessChaoticmess Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hey, Thanks for the reply!

The form states £5500 though. From everything I've read my assumption is that this is because during my claim period the lower threshold was £5500 and was changed to £6000 at some point so some of the time would still come under £5500?

Ok, good. I think my bank lets me print off from as far back as 7 years ago. I bet they don't reimburse for the ink and paper used though! :)

And just to clarify, having savings over £5500/6000 doesn't disqualify me and separate to the correct numbers being used the principle of my calculations are correct in regards to the way this back payment is worked out?

So if successful I'll automatically be given the income related top up with future payments as part of this whole process? I won't need to do anything else?

Nice to know the time frame, thanks, 12 weeks almost sounds fast considering its the DWP!

edited November 2018
    The upper limit cut off for savings is £16,000 what it was previously to this, i have no idea. Savings/capital over that amount and you won't be entitled to any means tested benefits. Under that amount and my reply above still stands.

If they owe you anything then you'll be backdated what you're owed.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • leannem85leannem85 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi . Received an ESA3 form from DWP. Do they require bank statements if I have no savings ? Thanks Leanne 
    leannem85 said:
    Hi . Received an ESA3 form from DWP. Do they require bank statements if I have no savings ? Thanks Leanne 
    Yes, bank statements are to prove you don't have any and they will also be used to check if you have any other income. Bank statements will be needed for all banks accounts.
  • worried33worried33 Member Posts: 399 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    First you submit the form.

If you do it over the phone you will immediately be told what you need to send, if you send it by post you will need to wait for the form to arrive (the dwp are slow it can take weeks), then for someone to read it, and write back to you on what you need, I highly recommend doing it over the phone with them.

I was over the £5500 limit for just 6 weeks out of 4 years and they told me to send in statements for the entire 4 year period however the tone in the guys voice suggested if some was missing they would let it go as he said "send what you can".

Also I had a lot of issues getting my statements to arrive (I ended up sending twice).

I would do it over the phone, and whilst you in that conversation try to ask for an email address to send it to, because doing it over the phone lets you speak to someone at the processing centre directly, not the basic call centre.  I discovered afterwards its very hard to get put through to someone in the processing centre the only time I spoke to someone there was when they did my form for me.

Also I got told multiple times the 12 week countdown targets starts from when it goes to processing, so if it lingers waiting for you to send evidence then it could well be longer as that will slow it down, hence me suggesting to do over the phone.
    Hi Poppy123456 . Thanks for the reply . The ESA 3 form that iv received only asks for bank statements if I have/had any savings over £6000 ,I do not  have any savings. iv written that information on the form that  iv now completed . I’m confused as it says on the form bank statements needed for savings over £6000. ? It doesn’t say that I need to provide bank statements unless I have over the £6000 in any savings . Do I send bank statements along with the form ? Thanks Leanne 
    I'm not why you asked the question if the form tells you not to send them if you don't have over that amount.
    I asked because I didn’t know if they require bank statements For less than £6000. I’ll send my bank statements in with the ESA3 form anyway . Thanks 
  • wild_onewild_one Member Posts: 91 Connected
    Hi, I'm new here. I received an ESA3QR form back in November due to being migrated from IB to ESA. I've heard nothing, and I've contacted them just to confirm they had received it Nov 22nd. The form requested information for the dates between April 2012 and May 2016. During that period I had no savings (actually overdrawn) and no partner, just a dependant child at school.

Would I be right in thinking that if I'm not due anything I'd find out quicker than if I am due something?

leannem85 said:
    Hi Poppy123456 . Thanks for the reply . The ESA 3 form that iv received only asks for bank statements if I have/had any savings over £6000 ,I do not  have any savings. iv written that information on the form that  iv now completed . I’m confused as it says on the form bank statements needed for savings over £6000. ? It doesn’t say that I need to provide bank statements unless I have over the £6000 in any savings . Do I send bank statements along with the form ? Thanks Leanne 
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I was always under the impression that the savings threshhold takes into account the total of all residents in the household, not just the claimant? Could be wrong?
    wild_one said:

I'm not an expert by any means, but I was always under the impression that the savings threshhold takes into account the total of all residents in the household, not just the claimant? Could be wrong?
    Yes, you're wrong here. Savings are only counted if they are yours or your partners.
  • juneyredjuneyred Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I am in the process of doing the esa3 form. I had a telephone call from them yesterday to say they had my forms but I had forgotten to tick 2 boxes. I had filled the form in correctly and used the page at the back to give them any other relevant details, I actually told them everything I could think of going back to 2012! I was not required to send any bank statements in as I had no savings. My forms are now been sent off for processing and it will take between 10 to 12 weeks to here from the assessors. I may be asked for more proof but it is unlikely, I was also told that the lowest payout was £1.47 and the highest was £40,000 but the average is £5000. I hope this clarifies things and if any body wants to know anything else please ask me as the gentleman I spoke to was very nice and helpful and gave me a lot of information.
  • belgiumbunbelgiumbun Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Do you know if after receiving a payment say for an amount that takes your savings over the £6000 limit if this is disregarded in any way ? I heard this was only for  year at one point seems ridiculous as the money is an underpayment of their error ?
    wild_one said:

Yes, you're wrong here. Savings are only counted if they are yours or your partners.
    So two individuals both on out of work benefits, on the same housing benefit claim, can each have up to £5,900 in savings?
    Do you know if after receiving a payment say for an amount that takes your savings over the £6000 limit if this is disregarded in any way ? I heard this was only for  year at one point seems ridiculous as the money is an underpayment of their error ?

I think it's another win for DWP. Let's be honest, if it was any other organisation they would 'proactively' assess the underpayment and send you a cheque with some flowers and chocolates. But DWP always look for ways around paying out, so they send a form because they know some claimants wont fill it in. They generate inertia, but taking 3 months to process the underpayments. Ask for meaningless information like bank statements, which they know claimants would have difficulty obtaining, even though DWP know exactly what they've paid you form there own records. Then, the last straw, when you do receive an underpayment it takes you over the savings threshold!
    wild_one said:
    wild_one said:

So two individuals both on out of work benefits, on the same housing benefit claim, can each have up to £5,900 in savings?
    No, that's not what i said. When claiming a means tested benefit savings are only counted for yourself and your partner...minimum being £6,000 per couple max being £16,000 whether you're a couple or single person. Different for those claiming pension credit.

Savings from other people in your household aren't counted.
    wild_one said:
    wild_one said:

No, that's not what i said. When claiming a means tested benefit savings are only counted for yourself and your partner...minimum being £6,000 per couple max being £16,000 whether you're a couple or single person. Different for those claiming pension credit.

Savings from other people in your household aren't counted.
    But I'm not 100% that is correct, especially where HB CTB is concerned. If they are living in the house they are part of the claim. Declaring 'everyone' that lives in the home and their income and savings etc? I'm pretty sure if my daughter inherits £50k from her grandfather it WILL affect my HB?

But, I'm willing to bow to your superior knowledge.
    If your daughter is a non dependent then her savings won't affect your benefits.
  • Richard60Richard60 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    What does the DWP class as savings / income. Would an inheritance from a family will be classed as savings ?
    edited February 2019
    Richard60 said:
    What does the DWP class as savings / income. Would an inheritance from a family will be classed as savings ?
    Yes, it's an inheritance, where ever it's from.
    Well, it's 'twelve weeks' next week that they've 'officially' had my ESA3 form, and still not heard a thing?
  • Richard60Richard60 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    An inheritance was paid to my brother who is in receipt of CB ESA. However due to my brothers severe mental condition he has never had a bank account and so his benefits and inheritance is paid into an account which is in my name. The DWP have appointed me to receive his benefits. Will I have to provide statements for this account if asked to do so by the DWP in order to complete the ESA3(IRB) form.
    juneyred said:
    I am in the process of doing the esa3 form. I had a telephone call from them yesterday to say they had my forms but I had forgotten to tick 2 boxes. I had filled the form in correctly and used the page at the back to give them any other relevant details, I actually told them everything I could think of going back to 2012! I was not required to send any bank statements in as I had no savings. My forms are now been sent off for processing and it will take between 10 to 12 weeks to here from the assessors. I may be asked for more proof but it is unlikely, I was also told that the lowest payout was £1.47 and the highest was £40,000 but the average is £5000. I hope this clarifies things and if any body wants to know anything else please ask me as the gentleman I spoke to was very nice and helpful and gave me a lot of information.
    I'm the same situation as you. No savings, they didn't ask for bank statements. It took nearly 10days for the form to appear on their system (it was posted recorded and for next day delivery?). They told me that they received my form onto their system on Nov 22nd 2018, not heard a peep since. Three months tomorrow?
    Next day delivery is pointless when sending any letters to DWP. This is because all mail goes to the Royal mail sorting process first and signed for delivery means it's been signed for by someone from Royal mail, not from DWP. It's not classed as being there until it's put onto the computer.
    Yeah it took over a week to actually get on their computer system
    Has anyone that is waiting for a decision on their 'underpayment' called the dedicated number 0800 169 0346 recently. It appears to bounce you back to the number that ends 0310 that is never answered?
  • Deanno84Deanno84 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    wild_one said:
    Well, it's 'twelve weeks' next week that they've 'officially' had my ESA3 form, and still not heard a thing?
    Has your case been resolved yet ? 
    If so how long did it take ? As mine is going to be 12 weeks on Monday and I haven't heard anything from them yet 
    Deanno84 said:
    wild_one said:
    Has your case been resolved yet ? 
    If so how long did it take ? As mine is going to be 12 weeks on Monday and I haven't heard anything from them yet 
    Still waiting! Four months next week! There is no incentive for them to be quick. Its all about delaying tactics and creating inertia. If you call them they just fob you off!
    With 570,000 people needing to be contacted, i'm not at all surprised that the original 12 week wait for a decision has been increased. The expected completion date for this to be completed and everyone been re-paid everything they are owed is the end of 2019.

With 570,000 people needing to be contacted, i'm not at all surprised that the original 12 week wait for a decision has been increased. The expected completion date for this to be completed and everyone been re-paid everything they are owed is the end of 2019.

Interesting that they are finding more underpaid claimants which further delays processing? I'm guessing £570 million pounds generates a lot of interest, even on a daily basis? 
    Indeed it is. It also includes 20,000 claimants who have sadly now passed away which of course takes even longer.
  • Stoke39Stoke39 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    I know it's been a while now but I am wondering if you ever did receive your payment and how long it took. I'm approaching 12 weeks on Monday and everytime I call up I get a shirty person telling me its still in processing and that it will be delt with in middle of April then at the end of April. It really is redicules having to wait for money that's owed to us when they know exactly how much they have paid us and what missing payments are owed to people 
    Stoke39 said:
    I know it's been a while now but I am wondering if you ever did receive your payment and how long it took. I'm approaching 12 weeks on Monday and everytime I call up I get a shirty person telling me its still in processing and that it will be delt with in middle of April then at the end of April. It really is redicules having to wait for money that's owed to us when they know exactly how much they have paid us and what missing payments are owed to people 
    I agree, the whole thing stinks! I'm at 17 weeks and counting!
    Stoke39 said:
    Yeah it is ridiculous. I sent my ESA3 form on the 17th November and phoned them up in February to see what was happening and was told that my form only got sent to the processing team on 31st December and that the 12 week wait was from when it goes to the process team not when you first sent the form back. Anyway it will be 12 weeks this Monday 25th march and I still haven't heard anything from them so will be ringing them on Tuesday to see what's going on, not holding on much luck as I'm expecting to be fobbed off 
    Yeah I agree they are really good at that. Fob off I get constant tears off my sister and questions that I find hard to answer because I don't get the answers to them and only so many times you can say the same answer before she doesn't believe what I'm saying. Its really hard dwp should be ashamed 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Until recently nobody was aware that there had been an underpayment in some circumstances, not everyone that receives the ESA3 will be entitled to a backpayment. With so many claimants to be reassessed it is understandable that it will take some time to complete the process. If you are fortunate enough to receive a backpayment, then it is a bonus. How can you miss something you have never had and never knew about
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Valid point but try explaining that to a disabled person who also has learning difficulties isn't all that easy unfortunately. It's also the principle not that she has ever gone without but the fact that money would come in useful for the activities she takes part in that should have been paid all along if she is entitled to it. I was only asking if anyone else had got their back payments yet 
    Until recently nobody was aware that there had been an underpayment in some circumstances, not everyone that receives the ESA3 will be entitled to a backpayment. With so many claimants to be reassessed it is understandable that it will take some time to complete the process. If you are fortunate enough to receive a backpayment, then it is a bonus. How can you miss something you have never had and never knew about
    I wouldn't use the word 'fortunate' when describing how many were short changed by DWP. Without pressure from various groups and the threat of a court case, DWP wouldn't have bothered doing anything?
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry, fortunate is a poor choice of word but you get what I meant.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Sorry, fortunate is a poor choice of word but you get what I meant.
    I'm not sure I do? The underpayment is not a 'gift'?
    So, today i notice an extra £3264 in my bank account from DWP. So my underpayment journey could be over, once the inevitable brown envelope arrives? Just over four months of 'processing' in my case.
    I'm pleased you finally got the money you rightfully deserve. The waiting paid off in the end 
    wild_one said:
    So, today i notice an extra £3264 in my bank account from DWP. So my underpayment journey could be over, once the inevitable brown envelope arrives? Just over four months of 'processing' in my case.
    That's great news, I also received a phone call from someone from the process team on the exact date my 12 weeks was up to say my claim was successful and they were calculating from march 2012 up to present date and it should be in my account by end of the week and to look out for a letter in the post. Happy Days.
     Also if you were receiving the Daily living component PIP or DLA care component at middle or high rate on the dates you should of been on IR esa instead of CB esa you may have also been missing out on the Severe Disability Premium which is about £64 a week. Definitely worth checking out
    Deanno84 said:
    wild_one said:
    That's great news, I also received a phone call from someone from the process team on the exact date my 12 weeks was up to say my claim was successful and they were calculating from march 2012 up to present date and it should be in my account by end of the week and to look out for a letter in the post. Happy Days.
     Also if you were receiving the Daily living component PIP or DLA care component at middle or high rate on the dates you should of been on IR esa instead of CB esa you may have also been missing out on the Severe Disability Premium which is about £64 a week. Definitely worth checking out
    Although before you go out celebrating with a lamborghini it might be prudent to keep some back to cover the hard times migrating to UC!
    So, the ominous brown envelope from DWP arrived today. Containing one letter telling me they'd sent the money. No breakdown of how they calculated that amount. No explanation of what its for? Just "we've paid you this?"
  • SC83SC83 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hello there, I received a letter to say that maybe I will be due backdated money from when I was transferred over from Incapacity Benefit to ESA in 2012. It was definitely contribution based judging by the figures I've seen. My question is on the ESA3(IBR) form it says that the period is between 2012/13. Is it possible though that underpayment could have continued? I ask because I don't think I was transferred to income based until 2016? Has this been the case for anybody else?
    SC83 said:
    Hello there, I received a letter to say that maybe I will be due backdated money from when I was transferred over from Incapacity Benefit to ESA in 2012. It was definitely contribution based judging by the figures I've seen. My question is on the ESA3(IBR) form it says that the period is between 2012/13. Is it possible though that underpayment could have continued? I ask because I don't think I was transferred to income based until 2016? Has this been the case for anybody else?
    Was you always in the 'support' group?
    .... and today another brown DWP envelope arrived. A three page letter explaining that as a result of my ib3 form I was entitled to IR ESA and that they had included a breakdown of how the backdated amount was calculated. But, they still haven't actually included it. I wonder if there'll be another brown envelope next week with the actual calculation?
  • SC83SC83 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    wild_one said:
    SC83 said:
    Was you always in the 'support' group?
    Yes my circumstances have never changed from then to now so I assume so.
  • ChaoticmessChaoticmess Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hey, OP here.

Just thought I'd make a post to say i just got my results letter.

I ended up sending them online printouts of my bank and ISA statements from 2012+ just after mid Nov last year and received the letter this morning.

Rather pleased as they calculated my due amount to be just over £3500.

I received a detailed breakdown of how they calculated it as well, which was nice.

So in the end it took around 18-19 weeks from the time i sent it to get processed and it seems sending them online printouts of my bank statements was fine after all.

Thanks for the help.

• PaddythePoguePaddythePogue Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Re ESA arrears; please help ; a previous post stated ;  "The form requested information for the dates between April 2012 and May 2016. During that period I had no savings & no partner." My situation is the same EXCEPT I was only asked about the period OCT 2012- OCT 2013. Does THIS MEAN i WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED FOR arrears relating to that 52 week period - meaning my MAX PAYOUT WILL BE £52 X £15 [OR £16.4, or WHATEVER THE enhanced  PREMIUM WAS AT THE TIME ?]  
    Re ESA arrears; please help ; a previous post stated ;  "The form requested information for the dates between April 2012 and May 2016. During that period I had no savings & no partner." My situation is the same EXCEPT I was only asked about the period OCT 2012- OCT 2013. Does THIS MEAN i WILL ONLY BE CONSIDERED FOR arrears relating to that 52 week period - meaning my MAX PAYOUT WILL BE £52 X £15 [OR £16.4, or WHATEVER THE enhanced  PREMIUM WAS AT THE TIME ?]  
    Just give them what they need and send it off ASAP?
  • miltonmilton Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Richard60 said:
    An inheritance was paid to my brother who is in receipt of CB ESA. However due to my brothers severe mental condition he has never had a bank account and so his benefits and inheritance is paid into an account which is in my name. The DWP have appointed me to receive his benefits. Will I have to provide statements for this account if asked to do so by the DWP in order to complete the ESA3(IRB) form.
    similar position . how did you get on please ?if you dont mind me asking
    milton said:
    Richard60 said:
    similar position . how did you get on please ?if you dont mind me asking
    If you are an appointee for someone then DWP will know this because they will have your bank details for the persons money to go into and it won't be counted as your money because DWP will already know it's not and there will also be a NI number next to each payment from DWP, which proves it's not yours.

You'll still need to send bank statements for all your accounts if DWP ask for them for the IB to ESA underpayments though.
Sign in or join us to comment.