Should he be getting enhanced mobility? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should he be getting enhanced mobility?

Options
lisa31
lisa31 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi joined this to get some advice. Husband was on DLA and when going over to PIP got 0 points all way through. Put a complaint in to capita regarding assessment and forwarded medical notes to pip. So last friday he received letter saying now we have all information needed to make a decision, i phoned and asked about this as thought just wait on appeal date and she said they have to consider new evidence first. So phoned yesterday and an offer on way, i asked could he check what is ( so impatient now after months of this) he said that he vsn see enhanced rate mobility but cant see care, im thinkibg no care, would that b right if he gets enhanced mobility. Thanks 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lisa31

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes the two components can be one way or the other depending on the individual needs.

Would you like me to supply you with the details?????
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lisa31 welcome to the community! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lisa31
    lisa31 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @steve51my husband suffers non epileptic seizures, has chronic back pain and awaiting surgery on his knee. Just thinking if he has been awarded enhanced rate mobility as he needs assisted going out etc, itd be hypocritical to say no to any care award? . @Ami2301 hi , Thank u
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lisa31

No probs it’s my Pleasure ? 

I would say that the mobility component carries more weight.

If you can do without the care component then so be!!!!!

If you require any further help/advice please please let me know.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Options
    The care element is how his conditions affect him carrying out the PIP descriptors but if you have gone from 0 points to enhanced mobility take it as if you appeal you could lose the lot
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    lisa31,

It's perfectly possible to get enhanced mobility and not get a daily living component. However, I think you should be looking at whether your husband should have got 8 or more points for daily living. The activities are separate so the question is whether the back pain is stopping him from being able to do things at home too, and/or whether the seizures mean he is unsafe without supervision doing daily activities such as washing, dressing, cooking and going to the toilet.

If you think that he should have got 8 points or more for daily living then I think it is worth challenging the decision. You can state clearly that you agree with the mobility award. It's true there is a risk of losing it, but this should only happen if the DWP think he isn't actually entitled to 12 points or more in the mobility activities. If you are confident of the points in the mobility activities, I would go ahead. If you think he should actually only have got 8 points for mobility, then weigh up your options - the standard daily living component & standard mobility together are still worth more than the enhanced mobility component by itself.

Have a look at the PIP self-test with your husband and see what you end up with. You don't say what DLA award he had so it's difficult to advise; the PIP test is different, but there's enough overlap that if he got DLA care middle or higher rate, the PIP award might be wrong & it is worth checking.

What does the assessor's report say? If you haven't got it, I'd ask for it now. If the PIP award is wrong, and you're confident that he should get a daily living and mobility component, I would go ahead. You'd start by requesting a mandatory reconsideration. Try to be clear about what points you think he should have got, and why. You can save the detail of the PIP points & arguments for the appeal if it's going to take time - the MR request can just be a request to look at the award again but do be careful to say clearly whether you think the mobility component is correct & what you think the daily living component should be.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.