Payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Payments

Anthony1987
Anthony1987 Community member Posts: 93 Listener
Hi I'm stock on the housing cost as i got paid  £436 last month now this month getting 411  the rent doesn't even sound like it's getting paid as standard allowance for universal credit 317.82 I'm  getting carer's allowance every  week it works out 258.4p a month. It says they are taking 279.93 of  other benefits. Another total adjustment £699.27  i pay £8.34 as well after i lend some of them. When calling them they said it's cos im on carers  but got told it be full £225  amonth to pay my rent when worked it out doesn't leave me much to lift on surly it can't change every month  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The deduction of carers allowance from your UC is correct because carers allowance then pay you the money that's deducted, you can't be paid carers allowance twice.

UC should add a carers element of £156 per month, check your online account to see if this is added. At same time check if they've added the housing element. To claim the housing element you'll need to take your tenancy agreement to your local job centre, without this you won't be paid the housing element.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed from your local council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony1987
    Yeah alreday seen someone with the housing at the jobcenter it already said they will pay the 225 a month but it feels like I'm paying it out of my money wear on income support was only paying 19quid to thw rent 
  • poppy123456
    In a sense yes you are paying out of your UC monthly payment because it's included in with the payment.  Housing benefit was paid separately. Is the carers element added?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Anthony1987
    Don't think so all it says is 

An average of other benefits that you're continuing to claim.

Carer's Allowance

• Anthony1987
    £279  they have toke of
  • poppy123456
    Yes, that will be the carers allowance and the money you're paying back for the loan you mentioned. Like i said carers allowance are paying you £64.30 per week and you can't receive this payment in your UC as well.

Please check your online UC account to see exactly what elements of UC you're receiving because without all the information it's impossible to help you further.

You should be receiving standard allowance, carers element, housing element and if you have dependent children then the child element. Who do you receive carers allowance for?
  • Anthony1987
  • Anthony1987
  • Anthony1987
    Last month they paid me 436 spoke to the woman on the phone and said my payments will be 411 every month even tho got told it was 436 a month 
  • Anthony1987
    The rent is 450 a month but shard between us so it should be full 225 as they said thwy would pay it all 
  • Anthony1987
    And i care for my mum 
  • poppy123456
    Seems correct to me. £699 - carers allowance of £279 - £8.34 for the advance payment. Leaves you with £411 per month. On top of this you have Carers allowance of £64.30 per week because they pay you separately. Working your money out monthly after paying your rent you have £161 left from your UC but you still have £64.30 per week from the carers allowance.

Its seems worse to you because you have to pay your rent from your UC.

Your tenancy is shared so you each pay part of the rent, you won't be able to claim for the whole rent. You'll only be able to claim your share of it. The person you share with pays their share.
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thanks yeah makes more sense now. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.