Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.
my stepson (22) has severe autism , severe learning difficulties and is none verbal. We have had insurance cover for him for when he goes to carers houses for his respite. After 3 years we’ve had to make our first claim as he used too much toilet paper and flooded the bathroom causing over £2500 worth of damage to the floor, walls and ceilings of the room below. We’ve contacted the insurers believing this be covered but they only cover up to £1000 and £50,000 public liability for which this isn’t. My question is, are there insurance companies who over personal insurance for him when he’s at other people houses including friends and carers who offer more than a £1000 ? We only get 2 nights respite a month as it is and if we lose the people we’ve grown to trust with our son I’m not sure what we’ll do , thanks for any info
- 48.1K All Categories
- 9.6K Start here and say hello!
- 3.8K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K News and opportunities
- 134 Community updates
- 11.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.6K Children, parents, and families
- 608 Work and employment
- 509 Education
- 926 Housing, transport, and independent living
- 903 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 236 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 245 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19K Talk about money
- 1.7K Benefits and financial support
- 4.2K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.2K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 1.9K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.5K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 573 Chronic pain and pain management
- 631 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 681 Autism and neurodiversity
- 814 Mental health and wellbeing
- 282 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.