Personal insurance — Scope | Disability forum

Personal insurance

andyburr1470 Member Posts: 1 Listener
my stepson (22) has severe autism , severe learning difficulties and is none verbal. We have had insurance cover for him for when he goes to carers houses for his respite. After 3 years we’ve had to make our first claim as he used too much toilet paper and flooded the bathroom causing over £2500 worth of damage to the floor, walls and ceilings of the room below. We’ve contacted the insurers believing this be covered but they only cover up to £1000 and £50,000 public liability for which this isn’t. My question is, are there insurance companies who over personal insurance for him when he’s at other people houses including friends and carers who offer more than a £1000 ? We only get 2 nights respite a month as it is and if we lose the people we’ve grown to trust with our son I’m not sure what we’ll do , thanks for any info 



Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.