Losing parental responsibility — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Losing parental responsibility

mumofjade Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,  my daughter had cerebral palsy and epilepsy as well as learning difficulties.   She turns 18 next month and I've been made aware that I'll loose parental responsibility for her! I feel confused, concerned and heartbroken! I have no idea what this means and I'm the only person who knows my daughter and I don't want outsiders making decisions for her.  Can someone please explain  what happens,  or point me In the right direction for advice?  Many thanks michelle x 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,922 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mumofjade welcome to the community! Sorry to hear this, was this decision made by a court?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Michelle @mumofjade and a warm welcome to you. Good to have you with us.
    I'm very sorry that you are struggling and we'll try to get you relevant advice. I'm going to tag our CP specialist @Richard_Scope and I am sure he will get back to you as soon as possible.
    Don't hesitate to keep in touch and to tell us anything more that you think we might be able to help with, or just to chat.
    To make sure of contacting the person you want it is useful to tag them as I have tagged Richard above. My tag is @JennysDad
    I will look forward to getting to know you better.
    Warmest best wishes to you and to Jade,
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 2,912

    Scope community team

    Good to meet you. I can see that this is a very worrying time for you. Could I ask who told you that you will lose parental responsibility for Jade? I will research this and get back to you as soon as possible.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 2,912

    Scope community team

    Hi again @mumofjade
    I have found this information through Contact for Families with Disabled Children
    I will of course keep looking for relevant information.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,677 Disability Gamechanger

    This is because when your daughter reaches the age of 18 in the eyes of the law she becomes an adult in her own right and the legal position on making decisions changes. The parent loses automatic rights to make decisions about their "child".

    To change this and take over responsibility for her and to continue to make decisions then you'll have to show that she doesn't have the mental capacity to make decisions for herself. You'll need a solicitor to act on your behalf. A very complicated procedure and not really something a forum could advise you further about.

    If she claims benefits then you can of course become her appointee for this purpose. This will mean that you will manage her benefits and claims for her. Be responsible for reporting changes, filling out forms etc.

  • Natasza
    Natasza Member Posts: 2 Listener
    When your child turns 18 they become an adult and you will no longer have the right to make decisions on their behalf. This refers to health or financial decisions. Including accomodation. When that person does not have capacity to make their own decisions, these will be made "in their best interest" by either health or social care professionals. It would be unusual for them not to seek  your input in making these decisions but ultimately they would be made by the professionals.
    However,  you can apply to the court of protection and ask to be appointed a legal guardian by the court for that individual. This way you will retain the right to make important decisions rather than them being made by professionals. I'm not sure that you need a solicitor for that, but you can research this online.
    Best wishes 

  • SteveE
    SteveE Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Good luck. Do try to ensure you have the final say. Most professionals will be sensible but one or two will put their views first and try to force their way. You are likely to always know best and you are by far the best qualified and the most professional (even if you have no "diploma"). Be strong.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.