Hi, my name is nkaron! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is nkaron!

nkaron
nkaron Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi there! I was wondering if anyone had any input or anything to share about their personal experience with and about public transport. I am thinking of doing a project about addressing ableist infrastructure in cities, any input would be really helpful :)

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nkaron   Pleased to meet you.

I am one of the team of community champions on the site. Those role is to guide and offer information, advice.

I would suggest speak to SCOPE and see if they can assist with your project.

If you look at our posts on Events, Research and opportunities.

That will give you some ideas to look at .  What others like yourself have completed. Other members who have joined and asked for similar projects.

Helpline 0808 800 3333.

Hope that helps.  Wish all the success with your project.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nkaron, and welcome! Do get involved with the community, and hopefully you'll have some responses for your project. As @thespiceman mentioned, our events, research and opportunities category may be a good place to post!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nkaron

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes I have had “fun and games” over the past few years in terms of “public transport”

Please please let me know if I can help you further?????
  • nkaron
    @steve51 Thank you so much for responding! If you would feel comfortable sharing a couple of experiences with me that would be much appreciated!
    You could also fill out a 3 minute survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3339R9R  and share it with people who you think wouldn't mind adding to my research!

This is a largely theoretical project, so it's perfectly fine if you would rather not!
    We are trying to see if we can create an app or product or service that can add a more dignified and inclusive feature to the current public infrastructure, looking specifically at how better to facilitate confidence and safety for individuals travelling alone. ( For reference, apps such as Wayfindr, Assist-Mi, etc. )

Also feel free to leave comments if there is any way I could improve my method/ if my questions are too presumptuous. Cheers!

• steve51
    Hi @nkaron

No probs where do you want me to start!!!!!!

I will break them down into:

1. Taxi ? 
    2. Bus ? 
    3. Train ? 

Following my Stroke:  I tried to return to work:
    1. Taxi’s, “booked” would’nt turn up & were one hour late both way adding two hours to a four hour day (6hrs)
    2. Buses, some would let me some “would not” I had to get my then manager to come down to the bus stop as I was waiting up to an hour to get on one.
    3. Trains. I have to get someone to fit a ramp to get on & off. But every time I needed a ramp I would have to find someone to get on & for getting off that was even worse believe me!!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help you further ?????
  • nkaron

I'm so sorry to hear that, it sounds awful!
    It seems to be a common theme that bus drivers are reluctant to help, and that train stations can be hectic.
    I was wondering whether you have used a tube or 'subway'/busy trains (not sure if you are based in London or not) , and what that was like for you with regards to the actual station layout, people around you, etc.
    From earlier research, it seems to be very taxing to even get assistance or find a help point within rush hours. From current systems on the market, they seem to be well-meaning and well thought out, but still don't really have any grounding in the real world- for example, there are ways to book assistance at the place you are going to, but that assumes that the company will see your request in time to help! It really is a challenge to create a meaningful service within the constraints we have been given ( nonprofit and no physical infrastructural change allowed), and even more so considering the level of inaccessibility for people with different needs.

Let me know any thoughts you have, take your time, thanks so much again for replying! We haven't got many responders so far (which is fair enough), but it means a lot :)

• steve51
    Hi @nkaron

That’s no probs!!!!!!

I currently live in Birmingham, West Midlands.

No haven’t the luxury off going on a tube/subway.

“Train Stations”
    I have to book assistance the day before!!!

I do try to use them “off peak’ when it’s quitter.

As for the buses every journey is a challenge.

Last year I had one bus park on a “road bump” this meant I nearly toppled off the side off to ramp!!!’

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help you?????

Thanks.

Steve.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.