Enhanced PIP and help with dental costs and eye care — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Enhanced PIP and help with dental costs and eye care

Perri12
Perri12 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited November 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been awarded enhanced PIP. Can I get help with dental costs and eye care?

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Perri12, and welcome!

You can find out who is entitled to free costs of this kind on the NHS help with health costs page. If you're not eligible, you can apply for their Low Income Scheme for help with prescription and care costs.

There's also an eligibility calculator here!
  • billieboo
    billieboo Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    @Perri12 Hi ive bin on PIP for almost 2yrs i cant get help wiv specs or dental treatment if u get ESA u can?! Madness ino as im a cancer patient n sum of the meds are making my teeth cracked n gums sore
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    If you claim a means tested benefit you will get it free.
    If you are on a low income you will get it reduced
    If you have a qualifying medical condition (such as an insulin dependent diabetic) prescriptions are free.

Many people can be seriously ill/disabled, claim PIP yet could have £millions in the bank.
  • Perri12
    Thank you all for your advise . I now get both and I am off to yhe dentist for my second time lucky for me its just a clean up.
  • Perri12
    Why do cant disabled people use their bus pass before 9am most hospitals start appointments before 9am?
    Any one know why.?
  • Perri12
    Sorry its the Drugs[ CANT USE THEIR PASS BEFORE 9AM]?
  • Yadnad
    Perri12 said:
    Why do cant disabled people use their bus pass before 9am most hospitals start appointments before 9am?
    Any one know why.?
    Before 9am is classed as peak time. The buses are busy and the bus operator would prefer fully paying customers that those with a free bus pass.

I do find it amusing that the local bus stop for the first bus after 9am is much like a Derby & Joan club meeting - hoards of them with passes in their hand.
  • Perri12
    I understand what you are saying but either way the bus company still gets paid. Equality and Diversity????
    And I stil have to get to work even though I had one bus driver say. You dont look disabled show me your photo. Oh yes its you ok. No sorry nothing I will not mentioned what I said under my breath.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    The times you can use your bus pass apply to the whole of country, not just your area.

What he said to you was wrong and i really hope you took his name and reported him to the bus company!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Perri12
    I know it is country wide. And reporting him was a issue as here in Kent you no longer ger a ticket.
    The reason for no tickets Burger King and McDonalds used the ticket for deals which was not helping people with weight issues and type 1/2 Diabetes. Which is a massive problem here in Kent.
  • KG100
    KG100 Community member Posts: 179 Pioneering
    I use my disabled bus pass when I go out and on some journeys almost no one actually pays for the bus, we're either disabled or pensioners !!
  • KG100
    I almost got fined £100 for thinking I was elegible for free dental care.
    I'm on ESA but on the CB one.
    They did understand though when I emailed them.
    They do check up on people. 
  • Perri12
    They dont check all the time because of staffing levels. But they do check.
  • KG100
    They did say in their reply to me that a lot of disabled people get confused by the different benefits.
    I'm glad it was all sorted out by email.
  • Yadnad
    edited February 2019
    Perri12 said:
    I understand what you are saying but either way the bus company still gets paid. Equality and Diversity????
    That's unfortunately not the case. The amount of money collected by Stagecoach? in Kent from fully paying passengers is nowhere matched by the money that they get from Kent CC. If bus operators were paid the full ticket price by the County Council then the operator could have no objections to removing the travel restrictions

Maybe you should be complaining to KCC to make sure that they cover the full cost of your travel.

Are you suggesting that people in general that live in Kent are fatter than the rest of the country?
  • Yadnad
    KG100 said:
    I use my disabled bus pass when I go out and on some journeys almost no one actually pays for the bus, we're either disabled or pensioners !!
    Which can only end one way - the removal or restricting the number of buses on that route. Until and when councils pay the full ticket price there will be difficulties with the service.

• KG100
    I've noticed since last year where I live they no longer give me a bus ticket.
    I just put my pass on the machine. 
  • Yadnad
    KG100 said:
    I've noticed since last year where I live they no longer give me a bus ticket.
    I just put my pass on the machine. 
    That is all that is needed. The machine records the card details and the council will pay a proportion of the ticket price.
  • Perri12
    KG 100. In Kent we do have a massive wright problem from young to middle age to old. This is mainly down to diet, no exercise and convenience foods. The agency I work for has done a lot of surveys on the problem  we are now signposting people to work shops to help control their habits when it come to food and energy drinks. Just the other day on the bus I saw a young mum give her very small child Lucozade sport and not under stand why the child was screaming while she was talking on the mobile phone. The driver even ask her to get off the bus as her other child who was over weight for a 5 yrs old springing up and down on the bus seat. And no its not Kent its everywhere. One of the other problems is when I was at school you had a whole day of sports. That now is not possible as functional skills are now more important.
  • Yadnad
    Phew! For a moment I was thinking that Kent was the 'fat' county of Britain.
    Yes I do agree that it is epidemic throughout Britain for the very reasons you mention.
    However I have noted that in the wealthier parts of Kent when compared to the more down at heels towns and cities, that the weight problem does appear to be more prevalent in the poorer areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.