Can I stop my ex partner receiving carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Can I stop my ex partner receiving carers allowance?

mainsqueen Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a question, my partner of 30 years has been my carer for this past 8 months since my illness has been worse, I have recently found out he has been cheating on me, I am finished with him, I would like to ask can I claim carers for myself or is there something I can do to stop him getting the carers allowance. thank you 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,923 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mainsqueen welcome to the community! I am terribly sorry to hear what has happened :( Unfortunately, you cannot claim Carers Allowance for yourself. I am unsure about how you would go about stopping him receiving this, however I’m sure another member will know and be along shortly to advise you. Let us know if we can help you further :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mainsqueen

    Welcome it’s great to meet you today!!!!!!

    I’m very very sorry 
    to read your post😫😫

    Please please have a good look 👀 around our site/community.

    If there is anything that I can help you with please let me know???

  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    Hello @mainsqueen Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry what has happened.

    I do understand this  is a difficult time for you to go through. You need the right information, support and advice to try to cope.

    You have come to the right place and we as a community can support and advise how we can help.

    I understand from reading your post you want the carers allowance for yourself. This is has been explained to you by my friend @Ami2301 .

    One suggestion is to contact CAB for any benefit advice and anything else you might need.  They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise.

    Hope that helps.

    Pleasure to meet you

    Please take care


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,696 Disability Gamechanger

    If your partner is no longer caring for you then he needs to ring Carers allowance to report the changes. If he doesn't do this then it's classed as benefit fraud for claiming a benefit he's not entitled to.

    As has been said you can't claim it for yourself. Severe disability premium is payable but you need to be claiming certain means tested benefits to be able to claim this and you must live alone or be classed as living alone.

    If you were claiming benefits as a couple then you will also need to report the changes to DWP or your local council.

    I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mainsqueen, and a warm welcome to the community!

    So sorry to hear what you've been through recently, it sounds like you've faced some really tough times. I'm glad to see you've had some guidance from others about your carers allowance, and hope this is helpful. Please do keep in touch, and if we can be of any assistance, do let us know.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Nothing to stop you writing to DWP and asking them to stop the CA as he’s  o longer caring for you regularly and substantially.
  • topshoes
    topshoes Member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    @mainsqueen yes if your partner is still getting carers allowance, phone them up or write to them with date , last time , if you know where they live let me know and they should get in touch with him 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.