Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Severe Disability Premium

MarMar Member Posts: 32 Listener
hi I am looking for some advice on claiming the above benefit for myself and my partner we are both on pip daily living standard rate. My partner is 68 I am 64. We are on Pension Credit. 

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Does anyone over the age of 18 live with you? Does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • MarMar Member Posts: 32 Listener
    I live with my partner and we both get pip standard daily care 
    My partner is 68 and I am 64 will be 65 in 2 weeks
    edited November 2018
    I know you live with your partner but you haven't answered any of my questions i asked you above.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Sorry Poppy I live with my partner no one else. My partner gets carers premium he has an underlying benefit his pension so can’t get carers allowance. 
    The underlying entitlement to the carers allowance means your partner is claiming the carers allowance but not being paid. As your partner is claiming this for you then you won't be entitled to the SDP until your partner stops claiming carers allowance for the underlying entitlement to end. Once this is done you will then be able to claim the SDP yourself.

Your partner will be entitled to SDP.
    Oh I see so I need to get him to cancel the carers premium and then we both qualify as a couple? Do I need to be pension age or under? 
    We were informed by carers department we were entitled to the carers premium and SDP as we care for each other. Very confused. 
    The carers premium means he's claiming the carers allowance but can't be paid and that is the underlying entitlement. He needs to ring carers allowance to cancel the claim. Once it's canceled you will be able to claim the SDP for yourself because the underlying entitlement is being claimed for looking after you.

Your partner can claim the SDP straight away providing you're not claiming the Underlying entitlement for your partner.

Age makes no difference to the SDP.
    Ok I will get him to contact carers and cancel the carers premium on Monday. 
    Mar said:
    We were informed by carers department we were entitled to the carers premium and SDP as we care for each other. Very confused. 
    That's not correct. You can't claim both carers premium and SDP. One of you can claim the carers premium anfd the other can claim the SDP but it's more money if you cancel the premium and both claim the SDP.
    Yes I understand what your saying poppy. I will follow your advice. I very much appreciate it. 
    No problem. Carers premium is £36 per week. Single claim for SDP is £64.30 per week. Couples SDP is £128.60 per week. Claiming couples SDP will mean you'll be £28 per week better off.
    Thank you for clarifying this for me I really appreciate. Do  we explain this to carers department when we cancel carers premium. 
    No problem and yes.
    Thank you I will phone Monday. Is SDP backdated? 
    For you it won't be because your partner has been claiming an underlying entitlement to carers allowance and this has affected the SDP claim.

For your partner then yes, it's possible.
    Thank you I understand. 
    I telephoned Carers Allowance and cancelled Carers Premium my partner was claiming. Pension Credit will send out PC10 for us to claim SDP. 
  • tillyminttillymint Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Can u claim SDP if u have another adult at home, I dont think u can but was just checking?
    As far as I know we can as we are both on PIp daily living. I will keep you posted. 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger

Severe disability premium

You must get the disability premium or income-related ESA, and one of the following qualifying benefits:

• PIP daily living component
    • AFIP
    • DLA care component at the middle or highest rate
    • Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)

You usually cannot have anyone aged 18 or over living with you, unless they’re in one of these situations:

• they get a qualifying benefit
    • they’re registered blind
    • they’re a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative)
    • they make separate payments to the landlord

You cannot get the severe disability premium if someone is getting Carer’s Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you.

If you’re in a couple

You’ll get the higher amount of severe disability premium if both you and your partner are eligible.

You can get the lower amount if:

• someone gets Carers Allowance or the carers element of Universal Credit for looking after only one of you
    • only one of you meets the eligibility criteria and the other is registered blind

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    Thank you Cockneyrebel 
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @Mar I have only just seen this post and wanted to clarify something in respect of the SDP.  If a carer is not actually being paid Carers Allowance (CA), and has only an "underlying entitlement" to CA then this would not prevent an SDP being paid for the person they are caring for.  EG couple, both on ER Daily Living PIP.  One gets a state pension, the other does not.  They care for each other.  In this situation, if they both claimed CA, the one with the pension would NOT be paid CA and would have only an underlying entitlement, the other one would be paid CA. This means that only one SDP is payable as 1 award of CA is in payment.  As a second example: Couple, both on State Pensions, both on ER Daily Living PIP.  If they both claimed CA neither of them would be paid it because of the state pensions - they would both have only an underlying entitlement to CA.  This means that two SDPs are payable as CA is not actually in payment to either party.  This is why a couple can be caring for each other and still get 2 SDPs in their claim. I hope that makes sense - this is a notoriously confusing topic!

Sarah

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Hi I have just seen your reply. Does we are both oaps now. I got my state pension on 6 March 2019. My partner had his already. We are both on PIP standard rate and qualify for SDP as a couple. Does this mean we can claim Carers Allowance underlying as well as SDP bit unsure of this? 

Thank you
    Mar said:
    Hi I have just seen your reply. Does we are both oaps now. I got my state pension on 6 March 2019. My partner had his already. We are both on PIP standard rate and qualify for SDP as a couple. Does this mean we can claim Carers Allowance underlying as well as SDP bit unsure of this? 

Thank you
    No, you can't have the underlying entitlement to carers allowance as well as the SDP. Couples SDP pays £128.60 per week.
    Thank you for your reply. I was just a bit confused by benefitstraing message to me 30/1/2019 above. 
Sign in or join us to comment.