Severe Disability Premium — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Disability Premium

Mar
Mar Community member Posts: 32 Listener
hi I am looking for some advice on claiming the above benefit for myself and my partner we are both on pip daily living standard rate. My partner is 68 I am 64. We are on Pension Credit. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Does anyone over the age of 18 live with you? Does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Mar
    I live with my partner and we both get pip standard daily care 
  • Mar
    My partner is 68 and I am 64 will be 65 in 2 weeks
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2018
    I know you live with your partner but you haven't answered any of my questions i asked you above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Mar
    Sorry Poppy I live with my partner no one else. My partner gets carers premium he has an underlying benefit his pension so can’t get carers allowance. 
  • poppy123456
    The underlying entitlement to the carers allowance means your partner is claiming the carers allowance but not being paid. As your partner is claiming this for you then you won't be entitled to the SDP until your partner stops claiming carers allowance for the underlying entitlement to end. Once this is done you will then be able to claim the SDP yourself.

Your partner will be entitled to SDP.
  • Mar
    Oh I see so I need to get him to cancel the carers premium and then we both qualify as a couple? Do I need to be pension age or under? 
  • Mar
    We were informed by carers department we were entitled to the carers premium and SDP as we care for each other. Very confused. 
  • poppy123456
    The carers premium means he's claiming the carers allowance but can't be paid and that is the underlying entitlement. He needs to ring carers allowance to cancel the claim. Once it's canceled you will be able to claim the SDP for yourself because the underlying entitlement is being claimed for looking after you.

Your partner can claim the SDP straight away providing you're not claiming the Underlying entitlement for your partner.

Age makes no difference to the SDP.
  • Mar
    Ok I will get him to contact carers and cancel the carers premium on Monday. 
  • poppy123456
    Mar said:
    We were informed by carers department we were entitled to the carers premium and SDP as we care for each other. Very confused. 
    That's not correct. You can't claim both carers premium and SDP. One of you can claim the carers premium anfd the other can claim the SDP but it's more money if you cancel the premium and both claim the SDP.
  • Mar
    Yes I understand what your saying poppy. I will follow your advice. I very much appreciate it. 
  • poppy123456
    No problem. Carers premium is £36 per week. Single claim for SDP is £64.30 per week. Couples SDP is £128.60 per week. Claiming couples SDP will mean you'll be £28 per week better off.
  • Mar
    Thank you for clarifying this for me I really appreciate. Do  we explain this to carers department when we cancel carers premium. 
  • poppy123456
    No problem and yes.
  • Mar
    Thank you I will phone Monday. Is SDP backdated? 
  • poppy123456
    For you it won't be because your partner has been claiming an underlying entitlement to carers allowance and this has affected the SDP claim.

For your partner then yes, it's possible.
  • Mar
    Thank you I understand. 
  • Mar
    I telephoned Carers Allowance and cancelled Carers Premium my partner was claiming. Pension Credit will send out PC10 for us to claim SDP. 
  • tillymint
    tillymint Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Can u claim SDP if u have another adult at home, I dont think u can but was just checking?

Brightness