Please help esa accused me of fraud — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Please help esa accused me of fraud

ESA have accused me of misrepresentation for  £400 pension which had been in payment for 10 yrs and I paid tax on when they have made consistent and continuous mistakes,  misinforming hmrc of wrong figures etc said I was over paid £900 last year after many complaints they agreed 1 x £12 to be paid March this year back tracked taking £40 from benefits I can’t afford refuse to review my claim for the last 5 yrs now I’ve got a compliance interview which I don’t believe is appropriate- surely they should be he’s accountable it’s making my illness worse 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,696 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A forum isn't the place for advice regarding this. You need to get face to face advice from your local welfare right, CAB or law centre.
  • Mortisha103
    Mortisha103 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I can’t get to a cab hence asking on here - real equality 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,696 Disability Gamechanger
    I understand the difficulties people have getting outside but it's impossible to advise you because no one knows your case or your circumstances.

Do you have someone that can take you to an advice centre? Maybe try ringing them for advice over the phone?
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

First, Is this a compliance interveiw or an interveiw under caution ?
    It is impossible to give any advice without seeing the paperwork. As poppy says you really need to get trained advice
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Misrepresentation is not an accusation of fraud and a compliance interview is an information gathering exercise. You need face to face advice and to be clear what is and isn’t happening. 
  • topshoes
    topshoes Member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    @Mortisha103 if i was you i get all papers you need and go to a solicitor to help you sort this out , and one thing i can say as they got to have the proof before it gos to the fraud team 
  • mikehughescq
    You do not need a solicitor at all unless you have been told charges will be laid. 
  • topshoes
    topshoes Member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    @mikehughescq they do not like solicitors,  it would look good that @Mortisha103 has seen someone for advice on all paperwork, they have got that is why i have suggested it,  but that is down to @Mortisha103
  • anna17
    anna17 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    I had an compliance meeting and I took a friend with me. It was better as they could see u and have a different perspective of u and how u live ur life. My advice is take someone who knows u and can help support you with this. It really makes a difference. 
  • mikehughescq
    topshoes said:
    @mikehughescq they do not like solicitors,  it would look good that @Mortisha103 has seen someone for advice on all paperwork, they have got that is why i have suggested it,  but that is down to @Mortisha103
    I’ve done enough fraud and overpayment cases over the years to be able to say that it won’t be decided by who is in the room with you. There is also a strong argument to keep solicitors away from such cases unless a WRO is involved as they’ve a nasty habit of starting from the assumption that the overpayment is recoverable so there’s only a discussion to be had about fraud whereas the former is often simply not true. 
  • anna17
    anna17 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    But what if they took a close friend or family member with them. As support and to be there to help keep them claim. Would that not be allowed. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.

Online employment support

Support to Work is an online and telephone support programme for disabled people who are looking for work.