ESA Medical Certificate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA Medical Certificate

Hi, please could you help me with advice: what medical certificate I should ask my GP to provide for me to apply for ESA contribution based?
Should I ask for indefinite fit note , since I have genetic progressive muscular dystrophy or there are time period rules with DWP about medical certificate?
What medical certificate I should send with my application form looking to be put in a support group? Thank you.


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, if your condition is a long term condition without any sign of improvement then your GP may give you a Fit note for several weeks or months. In between while you may get accessed and put in the support group or if you are lucky get a paper acessment. But keep an eye on the date of the exspirey of your Fit note just in case you need a further one to tide you over till you get accessed. Are you or have you claimed PIP.
  • Sunshine123
    Sunshine123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, thanks for your answer. I'm on DLA.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,476 Disability Gamechanger

    Claiming Contributions based ESA will depend on the your National Insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years. Have you recently worked? If so have you claimed SSP in the last 28 weeks?
  • Sunshine123
    Sunshine123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for your answer, I used to be self-employed and never qualified for SSP.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.