Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

ESA Medical Certificate

Hi, please could you help me with advice: what medical certificate I should ask my GP to provide for me to apply for ESA contribution based?
Should I ask for indefinite fit note , since I have genetic progressive muscular dystrophy or there are time period rules with DWP about medical certificate?
What medical certificate I should send with my application form looking to be put in a support group? Thank you.


  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, if your condition is a long term condition without any sign of improvement then your GP may give you a Fit note for several weeks or months. In between while you may get accessed and put in the support group or if you are lucky get a paper acessment. But keep an eye on the date of the exspirey of your Fit note just in case you need a further one to tide you over till you get accessed. Are you or have you claimed PIP.
  • Sunshine123Sunshine123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi, thanks for your answer. I'm on DLA.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,932 Disability Gamechanger

    Claiming Contributions based ESA will depend on the your National Insurance contributions in the previous 2 tax years. Have you recently worked? If so have you claimed SSP in the last 28 weeks?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Sunshine123Sunshine123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for your answer, I used to be self-employed and never qualified for SSP.
Sign in or join us to comment.