PIP claim disallowed. - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP claim disallowed.

13»

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Why did people want it changed, @Username_removed ? Just out of interest.
  • mattw84
    mattw84 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Probably because doctors can see through some people trying to get benefits with no real issues. I have a genuine illness as do millions of others and I have no issues sitting in front of a doctor who understands health conditions and medications 

the people that are scared of that obviously have something to hide!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    mattw84 said:
    Probably because doctors can see through some people trying to get benefits with no real issues. I have a genuine illness as do millions of others and I have no issues sitting in front of a doctor who understands health conditions and medications 

the people that are scared of that obviously have something to hide!
    Quite possibly true.

However even with doctors not all have experience and knowledge of the impact on a claimant's life for every illness and disability known to man.

The whole purpose of PIP, unlike DLA that had doctors, is that you are being measured against fixed criteria for the impact of whatever you say is wrong with you. With PIP no one is really that interested in how ill you are and what medication you are on.
  • mattw84
    mattw84 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    See I agree and disagree 

i get everyones point and every illness effects everyone differently I only have respect for doctors as if it was not for the doctor on my panel I may not have won so easily 

the health care professional said to the Dwp I don’t suffer with BI-polar so making budgeting decisions should be no problem 

the doctor  on the panel was disgusted with this statement and said there is a massive amount of illness that would affect budgeting (such as if someone has anxiety they may find making phone calls or visiting a bank hard etc) and yet the Dwp In there report to the tribunal said I have no reason to argue and that as I don’t have bi polar I have no grounds to disagree 

if I didn’t have a doctor on the panel that understood mental illness and the way illness affects a person on a daily basis I would of possibly lost my case on the word of a district nurse who would only have basis medical qualifications. 

Thats my reasons but everyone will will have their own view and that’s fine. 
  • Tardis
    Tardis Community member Posts: 214 Pioneering
    Actually, I would have thought people like paramedics, OTs, mental heath nurses and the like would have a better insight in to how disability might affect people in their ability to carry out daily activities.  Doctors are more about diagnosis and treatment.  And the same diagnosed condition will affect people differently.  Even if they are on the same medication regime.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Tardis said:
    Actually, I would have thought people like paramedics, OTs, mental heath nurses and the like would have a better insight in to how disability might affect people in their ability to carry out daily activities.  Doctors are more about diagnosis and treatment.  And the same diagnosed condition will affect people differently.  Even if they are on the same medication regime.
    'might' affect. No one can say for certain that it does or would  other than the claimant.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @Tardis See, my problems involve complex mental health problems and chronic pain after failed back surgery. It was quite obvious that the paramedic who assessed me had no understanding of either. He didn't have a clue what borderline PD is, didn't believe that someone could get so depressed that they wouldn't bother to eat, and said that since I didn't appear sad I wasn't depressed. Severe depression often goes beyond sadness to a bleak void of emotions, but he expected me to be crying. He also said that I didn't display any signs of pain. This is ridiculous, as I couldn't help it, but he expected me to be reacting like someone with acute pain. When it's chronic, you quickly learn not to bother with most of the usual pain behaviours. They don't help and they use up valuable energy. My assessment by a physio (who knew a lot about mental health!) was much more accurate. She knew what to look for in someone with chronic pain.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    They don't need to have specific knowledge in any condition. All conditions affect people in many different ways and it's the claimants responsibility to explain how your conditions affect your ability to carry out the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.