Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.



I have been long term sick for 15 years since a teenager. I have always lived with parents but am looking at the potential of getting a flat. However, I am in a full UC area. If I apply for HB I will be migrated to UC (currently on IR ESA SG and PIP) which looks the only option? This is ok. But also though sadly it seems I won't get the SDP which is substantial. I know that there is some protection for people already on this, coming into effect - but is there anything for people who have never claimed it?

At present I am applying for carers allowance instead for my parents to claim, but ideally I would have preferred to get SDP myself and wondered if this is being looked at at all? I presume I can stop the carers allowance if there was a chance. To live alone will cost me so much more and yet the cutback - for no reason - is huge. I hope this somehow gets fairer as most people who hadn't been forced to trigger a switch to UC would get this and it is protected.

Many thanks



  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    Moving to an area where it's a full UC area then you'll have to claim this and not housing benefit.

    The new rules coming in, in January do not apply to those that don't already claim the SDP i'm afraid. They only apply to those that already claim it.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Charlie123Charlie123 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Shame but what I thought. Thankyou 
Sign in or join us to comment.