SDP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SDP

Options
Charlie123
Charlie123 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello,

I have been long term sick for 15 years since a teenager. I have always lived with parents but am looking at the potential of getting a flat. However, I am in a full UC area. If I apply for HB I will be migrated to UC (currently on IR ESA SG and PIP) which looks the only option? This is ok. But also though sadly it seems I won't get the SDP which is substantial. I know that there is some protection for people already on this, coming into effect - but is there anything for people who have never claimed it?

At present I am applying for carers allowance instead for my parents to claim, but ideally I would have preferred to get SDP myself and wondered if this is being looked at at all? I presume I can stop the carers allowance if there was a chance. To live alone will cost me so much more and yet the cutback - for no reason - is huge. I hope this somehow gets fairer as most people who hadn't been forced to trigger a switch to UC would get this and it is protected.

Many thanks

Charlie

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Moving to an area where it's a full UC area then you'll have to claim this and not housing benefit.

The new rules coming in, in January do not apply to those that don't already claim the SDP i'm afraid. They only apply to those that already claim it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Charlie123
    Charlie123 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Shame but what I thought. Thankyou 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.