Receiving UC and PIP but expected to find work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Receiving UC and PIP but expected to find work

Marisa Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited December 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all, i am receiving UC, i have rheumatoid arthritis and depression and sleep apnea, im in receipt of pips too. I have given UC a 3 month sick note due to my illness, but now im being told i will need to start looking for work!
I am in constant pain and feel exhausted most of the time. I cant believe how cruel the UC is to people unfit to work. Im thinki g of coming off UC and try to survive on my basic rate PIps.
Its a joke,  im 60 years old, what do they expect me to do!!!


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Marisa Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am sure there are many members in our community. Who can identify what you are going through.

    Including my self  I know you have come to the right place to find support.  Information and advice.

    We are a friendly community. Please ask if we can advise on anything.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Member Posts: 174 Pioneering
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Marisa

    I have no exeperince in this area however I just wanted to say welcome to the  Community sounds like you’re in a tough position I would say take time to think it though there’s in lots of information on benefits and universal credit on here I’m sure other members will have better advice then me I would also recommend a link to the money saving advice service they have lots of useful information on there.

    hope this helps
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,176 Scope online community team
    Good to meet you. I'm sorry to read that you are going through such a stressful time. We have many knowledgeable members that may be able to advise you.

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Eadiesmummy1
    Eadiesmummy1 Member Posts: 90 Courageous
    Have you had a work capability assessment? if so request a mandatoty reconsideration xx 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,309 Disability Gamechanger

    Claiming PIP doesn't automatically give you LCW and neither is a fit note from your GP. It's completely up to the work coach how many hours per week you're expected to look for work. Some reduce hours but very few turn them off completely.

    Have you received a UC50 form? If not you need to ask your work coach to refer you for the work capability assessment. Once you've been referred they will then send you the form to fill in and return with all your evidence. A face to face assessment will most likely be needed as most have them. Once a decision is made you'll either be found fit for work, have LCW or LCWRA.

  • Marisa
    Marisa Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thankyou for your helpful comments 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a ludicrous decision by the DWP.  As another member has said, ask for a work capability assessment.  You could ask CAB for advice.

    You could apply for jobs to avoid sanctions but you are unlikely to get any offers because employers won't think you are fit enough.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.