Incorrect results on lung function test for COPD ... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Incorrect results on lung function test for COPD ...

Options
Trev121
Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
Can i just get some advice, please.

I have COPD., and I am in the WRAG for ESA

Yesterday, I went to a lung function review at my local surgery Asma clinic. The nurse got me to do 3 attempts with a spirometry to check my lung function, as my last results in June by my then doctor showed my function as low as 31%. The first attempt still displayed 31%, the second displayed 51%, and the nurse stated that at least 51% is better than 31% - which I thought does not sound at all right for COPD. Whilst, the third attempt was back to 31% again - which sounds more like it. The nurse said she would just put me down as the having 51%, for what reason I don't know, or perhaps she was trying to pep me up, or not to worry me, or whatever - and which I did not make too much of a comment about, as it was 6pm, and I was tired and fed up.

However, afterwards I thought that that dubious increase could imply that my COPD has improved, which is unlikely as it's chronic condition, not to mention that clearly that final attempt indicates the second spirometry result was probably inaccurate, anyway. However, my concern is that what the nurse wrote down as being a higher function result of 51% could trigger a "change of circumstances" for a change from ESA to Universal Credit - thus leaving me quite a bit worse off financially, couldn't it?

In reality, there is no change as my COPD is unlikely to ever improve and certainly not to jump up 20% odd, so I should not have to go onto UC,. However, am I right to be concerned about what the nurse has written down in terms of having to move from ESA to UC - when I shouldn't really have to, and especially not to lose out on when COPD is clearly a chronic condition.
thanks

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Trev
    As a fellow COPD sufferer, the results of one test is not enough to trigger a change in circumstance, you still have the condition and only you know how it affects you
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Trev121
    Trev121 Community member Posts: 32 Listener
    Options
    Hi CockneyR',
    Thanks, and well, you know and can understand where I', coming from. The nurse may have meant well, but why should I have it be stated I've improved when I haven't. I may just make my GP aware of this, as well.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to spirometry tests. It is how I feel that matters. I have my own Oximeter so do keep an eye on my stats. I won't let COPD rule my life. If I over do things sometimes I have to take oxygen and nebulisers but I refuse to rely on them I still have a life to enjoy.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.