Will we both get back pay? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will we both get back pay?

parisjoans Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited December 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi I was a carer/ appointee for my daughter .got DLA . Had it took of  us both and was put on universal credit for 17 months .. Court has said we have won are appeal / and will get 17 months back pay ..  Do we both get this back pay .. ? As it was took of us both .. 


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @parisjoans

    Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today!!!!!!

    That’s great news about your appeal win.

    I would contact the “DWP” on Monday mourning if I was you!!!!!

    Here’s the number one for you.

  • parisjoans
    parisjoans Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Ty for your reply ..  Will they tell me if we both get back pay or one of us .. ? Judge said your awarded 17 months back pay ..but we both got  put on universal credit .. ? I will contact  dhss ty
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,103

    Scope community team

    Just to get you started we have a How To Guide here, you can see all the latest posts here, jump in and get involved and don't worry we are a friendly bunch!  
    If you need anything, just let us know. 

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @parisjoans I am not sure I totally understand whats been happening for you, but I think you are saying your daughter's DLA was stopped and then in turn your benefits (carers allowance and possibly Income Support?) were also stopped.  I am also assuming the tribunal you have recently won was for your daughter's DLA?  If so then certainly the DLA is fully due to be backdated.  In respect of your benefits, unfortunately you would not be able to come back off Universal Credit if you live in a full service area (you can check using your postcode here: www.universalcreditinfo.net), which pretty much everywhere is now, so you cannot get Carers Allowance or Income Support back if that is the case.  However, you should advise Universal Credit of the tribunal decision and advise them that you fulfill the criteria for Carers Allowance from the date your UC started (assuming the care you have been providing for your daughter meets the conditions for Carers Allowance).  This should result in UC adding a carer element onto your UC entitlement which should be backdated.  I hope that helps.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.