Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility

Options
cristobal
cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
Hope this may be useful ....

Someone mentioned in another post that their assessment included how fast they walked, calculated over a timed distance. (I had this when I had my assessment.) I suggested that a generally accepted 'average walking speed' is 3MPH so, to meet the reliability criteria, you must be able to manage at least half of this speed i.e. 1.5MPH

Having looked in the DWP guidance I've found this in one of the worked examples.... 

"the walking speed which is deemed within a reasonable time period is 30 metres per minute"

I have no idea whether this has any basis is law but 30 metres per minute is 0.5 metres per second, or 1.12MPH

So it appears that DWP are using a considerably lower figure for the average unimpaired walk.

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very interesting. So to qualify as to walking at half that rate you would have to be doing less than 0.56mph. Thankfully or not that is twice the speed it would take me to walk 1 mile with all of the stops I would have to make. But the assessor didn't believe me in any event.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.