I have a 2 yearold who will need to go to a special needs school.what do i need to do. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I have a 2 yearold who will need to go to a special needs school.what do i need to do.

ellebear Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2018 in Education
I have a 2 yearold who will need to go to a special needs school.what do i need to do.
Any help would be great.xx


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ellebear Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.  I do not know the answer to your question. Some one from our community or a member of our team will know.

    Have a look under Education and Learning for any relevant support, information.

    We are a friendly, supportive community. Care and share.

    Please ask if we can advise. Some one will know in our community or a member of our team.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @ellebear,

    Welcome to the community, thank you for joining us.

    Please have a look at our quick guide about our community and feel free to join any of our recent discussions  . Our Parenting Advisor is always here to help and please have a look at our Learning Difficulties and our Education and Learning forums for advice and support.
    If you have any questions, please let us know.
  • wittygal1996
    wittygal1996 Posts: 13 Connected

    Welcome to the community. This website helped me find a good school for my disabled son. It has a number of categories of impairment- http://www.specialneedsuk.org/
    Feel free to message me with any other questions. Where do you live? The process is convoluted. I agree with you. I had no idea how to start. And some of the paperwork and criteria didn’t apply to our family.
    Contact your local council.
    They should definitely be able to assist you. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    @KellyParentAdvisor can you help?
    Senior online community officer
  • KellyParentAdvisor
    KellyParentAdvisor Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi @ellebear, welcome to the community. 

    To attend a specialist provision, your child will need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) - these used to be called 'statements'. You can apply for an EHCP yourself, or it can be done through a nursery, preschool or school. You will need all kinds of evidence, so it's often best to wait until your child is in some kind of educational setting before applying, but if you're sure s/he will need specialist education, I'm sure a chat with your health visitor about next steps. It's also worth asking any other professionals you and your family are in touch with, eg paediatrician, speech therapist, etc.

    I hope that helps?

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ellebear
    Following on from what @KellyParentAdvisor said, here is what the gov website says about EHCPs

    Requesting an EHC assessment
    You can ask your local authority to carry out an assessment if you think your child needs an EHC plan.
    A request can also be made by anyone else who thinks an assessment may be necessary, including doctors, health visitors, teachers, parents and family friends.
    If they decide to carry out an assessment you may be asked for:
    • any reports from your child’s school, nursery or childminder
    • doctors’ assessments of your child
    • a letter from you about your child’s needs
    The local authority will tell you within 16 weeks whether an EHC plan is going to be made for your child.
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Courageous
    Hi @ellebear

    My name is Emma and I am a Parent Adviser for the Scope Navigate service.  Navigate is a brand new service that provides a six week programme of online and telephone support to parents who have a child going through diagnosis or have a child who has recently been diagnosed with a disability. The aim is to provide parents with emotional and practical support that will help them build resilience as they start on their journey as a parent of a child with a disability or impairment. We can offer emotional support with different areas of your life, School and education for your child is one of them.

    I wondered if this may be of interest to you.  Please visit https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/navigate or call 0808 801 0510

    Best Wishes.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.