Stroke: Tips on stretching fingers — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Stroke: Tips on stretching fingers

Nannyvon Member Posts: 1 Listener
I suffered a stroke 24th December 2009, ever since my left hand has been deformed. Maybe somebody could give me some tips for stretching my fingers. Much appreciated.



  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nannyvon

    Good Evening it’s great to meet you today 👍👍👍

    Yes I have also had a “Stroke”

    Have you had any form of “Rehab” since????

    I had worked in a “Rehab Unit” myself after the “Stroke”

    We had many “Stroke Patients” attend for a number of similar problems.

    They had braces fitted to straighten their hands/fingers.

    Here’s an idea for you below.
  • blue_zebra
    blue_zebra Member Posts: 74 Connected
    edited December 2018
    Welcome @nannyvon

    do you have a hand therapist or physio on board? These can be referred to by your Gp. They are well trained in rehabilitation exercise and may be beneficial to you. They can as suggested by steve51, offer braces and supports to help too.

    Happy to advise if possible. 

    King regards 

    💙  @blue_zebra 💙
    Community Champion 


    ♿️💪🏻 EDSWarrior 💪🏻♿️

  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @nannyvon

    Thanks for posting. Sorry it has taken Ia while for me to respond, I've been away from the office.

    If you google " hand exercises after stroke" you will come up with lots of resources, such as:

    Of course the suggestions on these website are going to be very general and ideally what you need is individual advice based on your own assessed needs.

    Your GP can, if they think it clinically appropriate, refer you to your nearest NHS hand clinic. At the clinic you should be able to access the skills of a specialist Occupational Therapist who has post-registration training in working specifically on impairments of hand functions. However, as your stroke occurred 10 years ago you may find that you are not considered a clinical priory for referral and if you do get to the clinic that the range of rehabilitation options may be more limited.   

    The Stroke Association may also be able to advise you if there are any other local stroke services available in your area: call 0303 3033 100 or

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at:


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.