If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Indefinite Dla transfer to PIP

photoanniephotoannie Member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon all and a happy New year . This is my first post here. 
I have been on indefinite DLA higher rate mobility and care for 23 years due to Spinal problems, RA, Fibromyalgia and various other disabling conditions,  also severe anxiety/depression
Late last year I recieved the Dla to PIP transfer letter, informing me that my dla would stop if I didn't apply for pip within the month. I made the phone call (which I find terrifying) to get the pip migration process started. 
I had a local disability organisation help me fill in the pip2 form, a home visit, should I need a f2f was also requested. I sent it and supporting evidence including, mri reports proving my progressive and degenerative spinal problems -( spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, anterolisthesis ) A letter supporting my claim from my chronic disease nurse, up to date medication list and a personal statement from myself. etc...all sent off by recorded delivery.  I recieved a text message a week later to say it had been recieved.

On 31st December 2018 I recieved a letter from Person Independence Payment regarding an appointment for a f2f consultation at thier offices with Independent assessment services. Despite requesting a home assessment they have made an appointment for next week. I'm also going into Hospital next week for a spinal procedure. 
I'm at my wits end, not eating, crying, anxious and quite honestly in a complete state. I'm not thinking properly at all and expecting the worst, that I will not be awarded pip. My nurse and disability case worker feel it would be preferable if I had a paper based assessment due to the detrimental effect this is having on my physical and mental health. They are both more than willing to provide letters to say so. Can anyone offer any insight or help as to what I can do . Thank you in advance.  


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    It's very rare to have a paper based assessment, most people have face to face assessments. You can certainly ring them and ask for a home assessment but they may ask for a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed. Also if you attend other appointments then they can also refuse the home assessment by saying that if you can attend other appointments then you can attend the assessment centre.

    Remember that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. It's different to what DLA was.

    This link may help you understand what PIP is all about.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • photoanniephotoannie Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the differences. I'm housebound apart from appointments with consultants and surgeries in hospital. My chronic disease nurse visits my home. I've had a total of 8 surgeries in the past five years. I'm unable to walk without the assistance of someone else, I don't cook as I cannot stand unaided,  have no grip, my legs give way, I cannot wash myself, go to the toilet myself, etc, etc. This has all been written down on pip2 form along with evidence from consultants and my nurse. 
    Thank you for the link. 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,003 Disability Gamechanger
    If you’ve had surgeries then presumably you’ve been able to leave home (with or without support) so its much harder to make a case for a home assessment. A bit like recording the assessment people do tend to fixate on some aspect of the assessment process and think that if they can just have that one addict sorted then things will be easier/guaranteed to succeed and so on. There’s no evidence that face to face assessments result in better outcomes. 23% of people do get home assessments but getting one isn’t just about medical evidence. 

    You need to think about why you want or need one and if you still think you have a case then you need to put your request in writing as a a request under the Equality Act 2010 for a reasonable adjustment. 

Sign in or join us to comment.