Indefinite Dla transfer to PIP — Scope | Disability forum

Indefinite Dla transfer to PIP

photoannie Member Posts: 2 Listener
Good afternoon all and a happy New year . This is my first post here. 
I have been on indefinite DLA higher rate mobility and care for 23 years due to Spinal problems, RA, Fibromyalgia and various other disabling conditions,  also severe anxiety/depression
Late last year I recieved the Dla to PIP transfer letter, informing me that my dla would stop if I didn't apply for pip within the month. I made the phone call (which I find terrifying) to get the pip migration process started. 
I had a local disability organisation help me fill in the pip2 form, a home visit, should I need a f2f was also requested. I sent it and supporting evidence including, mri reports proving my progressive and degenerative spinal problems -( spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, anterolisthesis ) A letter supporting my claim from my chronic disease nurse, up to date medication list and a personal statement from myself. etc...all sent off by recorded delivery.  I recieved a text message a week later to say it had been recieved.

On 31st December 2018 I recieved a letter from Person Independence Payment regarding an appointment for a f2f consultation at thier offices with Independent assessment services. Despite requesting a home assessment they have made an appointment for next week. I'm also going into Hospital next week for a spinal procedure. 
I'm at my wits end, not eating, crying, anxious and quite honestly in a complete state. I'm not thinking properly at all and expecting the worst, that I will not be awarded pip. My nurse and disability case worker feel it would be preferable if I had a paper based assessment due to the detrimental effect this is having on my physical and mental health. They are both more than willing to provide letters to say so. Can anyone offer any insight or help as to what I can do . Thank you in advance.  


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,545 Disability Gamechanger

    It's very rare to have a paper based assessment, most people have face to face assessments. You can certainly ring them and ask for a home assessment but they may ask for a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed. Also if you attend other appointments then they can also refuse the home assessment by saying that if you can attend other appointments then you can attend the assessment centre.

    Remember that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. It's different to what DLA was.

    This link may help you understand what PIP is all about.

  • photoannie
    photoannie Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand the differences. I'm housebound apart from appointments with consultants and surgeries in hospital. My chronic disease nurse visits my home. I've had a total of 8 surgeries in the past five years. I'm unable to walk without the assistance of someone else, I don't cook as I cannot stand unaided,  have no grip, my legs give way, I cannot wash myself, go to the toilet myself, etc, etc. This has all been written down on pip2 form along with evidence from consultants and my nurse. 
    Thank you for the link. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.